Earth bonding outbuilding copper water pipes (has electric light)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wc outside in the garden outbuilding and want to know if the copper pipes for the tap and to the wc need earth bonding.

Sponsored Links
Tap, possibly ... WC no but will probably be bonded when you bond the tap. Is there any electricity in the outbuilding near the pipework? Any plastic in the run? Is the main distribution/service pipework already bonded?

Maybe a question for the electrical forum ... good chap to ask would be @EFLImpudence

Last edited:
There is electricity coming from a 13a socket inside the house which is going to the light bulb inside the outbuilding. No plastic pipes. Main water pipe coming out of the ground is not bonded.

There is electricity coming from a 13a socket inside the house which is going to the light bulb inside the outbuilding.
Firstly, Supplementary Bonding in the location -
If the light has no metal (exposed-conductive-)parts then there is nothing to bond.
Even if it has, supplementary bonding is not required in WCs but you could bond pipe to e-c-p.

Secondly, Main Bonding -
Main water pipe coming out of the ground is not bonded.
Do you mean in the WC or in the house?

If you mean in the house, it should be main bonded to the Main Earthing Terminal.

If you mean in the WC and it is a continuous metal pipe from the house where it is Main Bonded then no need - not much you can do about it anyway.
Ideally, a bit of plastic pipe in the run to separate it from the house metal pipe would be best but still doesn't need anything in the WC.

Sponsored Links
The main water pipe going to the wc and tap is not coming from the house, it is coming straight out of the ground. Does this require bonding?

The main water pipe going to the wc and tap is not coming from the house, it is coming straight out of the ground. Does this require bonding?
Swings and roundabouts.

If you have no metal parts on your light or switch then you have nothing to get a shock from, so I would not.
If you do have (exposed-conductive-)metal parts - and assuming you could touch the pipe simultaneously - and you got a shock at the same time as touching the pipe then perhaps a bond between the pipe and e-c-p would be desirable,

BUT

if you were to do that then, in the event of a fault, the pipe will also become live and you could get a shock from the tap while standing on the wet ground.
Although this is the same as a tap outside the house and usually nothing is/can be done about that.

On balance, I would advise, use plastic light and switch and do not bond the pipe.

Are you sure the WC pipe is not connected to the house pipes?

Presumably it is your water supply and comes from the same place.

Yeah seems like to me that it is my water supply pipe but with one pipe coming at the outbuilding and other incoming from the ground under my kitchen sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back