earth bonding with copper and plastic piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just finished the electrics on my extension and loft and will soon be having it checked at first fix. I am stuck on the earth bonding that is required on my house. There is 10mm earth cable going from the gas box to the consumer unit and 10mm earth going from the mains water supply pipe to the meter outside. I realise that copper pipes may need bonding. The house has a mix of plastic and copper piping. Could anyone give me a clue what to do next to complete the bonding. :confused:

Sponsored Links
To the meter outside??

The bond to the water pipe should run from within 600mm of the stopcock (before branch pipework & on your side of the stopcock) to the MET. PE Bonding does not concern the pipework outside your property.

As for the copper/ plastic piping, how is it arranged from the stopcock in?

Hi sorry I didn't make it clear. The earth cable goes from the stop cock copper pipe inside to the electric meter box outside. As for the pipework it is copper pipe cold water supply to the boiler and then copper from the boiler to first floor, plastic for about 1m of bends then copper to bathroom sinks and toilet, copper to bath, plastic to shower, plastic to bathroom radiator. Then copper to kitchen sink and a mixed copper and plastic to other radiators in the house.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, Just don't like plastic pipes. If you have access under the boards try to link with bonding where you can.Then bond boiler pipes.

Hi, I can get to all of the pipework what I can't get my head round is how you bond the pipework. 10mm earth cable with bonding tags, join the pipes without cutting the cable but then connect to what? Sorry but never done bonding before. Do I have to join the plastic pipes? :confused:

If your pipes are bonded at the incoming end to the main earth at the CU then you are only equi-potential bonding,ie reducing the chance of a problem if your wiring goes wrong. Plastic being a non-conductor does not need bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back