Earth Bonding - Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have nearly re-wired my house, and just left with a few questions before calling in a firm to inpect and test. So appreciate if someone can help.

1. I have used a 10mm Green and Yellow earth cable to earth bond from the Earth terminal (situated between the main fuse box and the electric meter) to the copper pipe on the gas meter and mains water copper pipe entering into the property from the cellar. Is this OK?

2. As part of the regulations do I have to earth the bathroom and radiators in anyway (all the pipes are copper)? If so what is the method and cable size to be used?

3. I have earth bonded all the copper pipes directly underneath the condensing boiler using a 10mm Green and Yellow earth cable. Is this OK?

Is there anything else that requires earth bonding?

Many Thanks,
Mr Electric

:)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have nearly re-wired my house, and just left with a few questions before calling in a firm to inpect and test.
Has this already been arranged? Have you found someone who has said they will do this already?

And calling yourself Mr Electric was a bad idea, considering your not an electrician.

1. I have used a 10mm Green and Yellow earth cable to earth bond from the Earth terminal (situated between the main fuse box and the electric meter) to the copper pipe on the gas meter and mains water copper pipe entering into the property from the cellar. Is this OK?

Terminate the cable within 600mm of the gas meter on the 'house' side, water is to the stop cock

2. As part of the regulations do I have to earth the bathroom and radiators in anyway (all the pipes are copper)? If so what is the method and cable size to be used?

Supplementary bonding is a requirement. A 4mm earth cable between any electrical source inside the bathroom (light, shaver socket, fan) and all metalwork (pipes, radiators). [/quote]

3. I have earth bonded all the copper pipes directly underneath the condensing boiler using a 10mm Green and Yellow earth cable. Is this OK?

That's fine- I'd suggest you review your supplementary bonding knowledge by looking at the Wiki pages on this site :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I hope you notified (including paying the fee) your Local Authority Building Control at least 48 hours before you commenced rewiring in line with Part P of the Building Regulations which became the law on 1st Jan 2005

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back