Earth bonding and Earth Cable Runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know all the pipes (5) in the y plan must be all connected together ..with clamps and earth wire.

does there then have to be a 16mm or 10mm thick earth green/yellow cable coming off this bonding, going back to the main earth at the meter...or elsewhere

i already have an earth cable going from the electric meter main cable earthing point to the water rising main.

gas meter is there ...but has no gas pipe out of it yet ..presumubly ..gas meter earth cable goes on after the gas shut off valve ..and the earth goes from this to the main earth at the electricity meter .

have to know whats what, whilst the floor boards are up .to get the cable runs in if needed.

Ive searched the forums and the net .lots of contradictory info ...old out of date info.....links that don't work ..so Ive tried my best

all the best.markj

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
1 supply pipe to rads manifold
2 return pipe from the other rads manifold
3. supply pipe to the coil in the tank
4. return pipe from the coiil in the tank
5.expansion pipe to the header tank
6, the gas pipe to the boiler

all the best.markj

edit .oh crap ..im still thinking ..coal fired ..
yup the word Y means divertor 3 port .i less pipe

having said that there will be 5 pipes coming down into the boiler room..all parrallel with each other

anyway .whats with the earth cables

Don't bother bonding any pipes at boiler, waste of time.

Bond required to incoming services, gas and water generally, within 600mm of entry to building.

I'm sure this will be in the wiki.

Don't bother bonding any pipes at boiler, waste of time.

Bond required to incoming services, gas and water generally, within 600mm of entry to building.

I'm sure this will be in the wiki.

I think it's required to pass the rules and get a certificate ..this is a first time gas boiler installation .

All the best.markj

Dont matter ..ive just been up the road to ask an electrician friend ..

he's shown me 17 th edition instalion guide etc ..
and another section 7 book on earthing

No earth cable runs from the bonding back to the meter /main earth /consumer meter area..
which is all i wanted to know really.

He also told me technically, if eathing tests ok and has rcd..then you dont have to have the bonding ..it just keeps them happy, if you put the bonding in ..

all the best.markj

I know all the pipes (5) in the y plan must be all connected together ..with clamps and earth wire.
Totally pointless. They are already electrically connected via the valve, boiler, radiators and so on.

Connecting them with pieces of wire will do nothing, isn't required now and never was.

i will do them for peice of mind anyway ..i know myself that many of my joints ..rads have either ptfe rapped around them or that dope stuff .

and for what it costs ..
all the best.markj

yep,

that's the same pic out of the book the electrician showed me ..

just another question ...totally non related to this ....
just something Ive been wondering about ..

I presume the main gas pipe going to the boiler has soldered joints.

if in the future a plumber installs a new boiler that requires a different pipe layout ..

how does he get rid of any remaining gas in the pipe that he is about to solder.

all the best.markj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back