Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of having my kitchen refitted. The sink unit had to be moved slightly to where it was previously, therefore the pipes had to me moved. The 10mm earth cable was cut to fit the pipes in the old location. Is it ok to fix a earth terminal block to the wall to extend the 10mm earth cable to the new location of the pipes or does it have to be one unbroken connection between the cold water inlet and the Consumer Unit?

Thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
if it is the 10mm main bond to the incoming supply pipe, it should not have impermanent connections in it. It either needs an unbroken length (I think it will cost you about £1 a metre at the DIY shed) or else a permanent joint. This can be a soldered joint, or crimped using a large crimp and ratchet crimpers (not the cheap thin ones used for car wiring)

the ratchet crimper for this size is quite expensive, so unless you already have a soldering iron, or an electrician on the premises with the right tools, it is probably easier and cheaper to buy a new piece of cable :(

You should give this priority, leaving the meb disconnected is not a good idea. Crucial question: is/was the connection within 600 mm downstream from the main stopcock?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back