Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of fitting a new kitchen and need to replace the earth bonding running from my gas pipe to the water pipes under my sink (as the sink will be moving)

At the moment there's a 10mm earth running from the CU through the gas pipe onto the cold water supply. From the cold water supply there is a 4mm earth running to the hot supply and also to the sink.

I'm aware that all incoming services need to be earthed with minimum 10mm cable, i.e. 10mm to gas and cold water as is at the moment.

Is it strictly necessary to bond the hot water and sink separately, and if so is 4mm adequate or should this be thicker cable?

Sponsored Links
At the moment there's a 10mm earth running from the CU through the gas pipe

i sincerely hope this is a typo!!

there should be a 10mm to the gas and a seperate 10mm to the cold water.
it won't hurt to have a 4mm cross bond from cold to hot but it isn't necessary if your CU is compliant to 17th Edition

Providing the wire is not cut, I am sure you can run through one clamp to the other clamp.

Sponsored Links
there should be a 10mm to the gas and a seperate 10mm to the cold water.
it won't hurt to have a 4mm cross bond from cold to hot but it isn't necessary if your CU is compliant to 17th Edition

You've singled out BS7671:2008 (17th Ed) but do you think it would be any different if his installation complied with BS7671:2001 (16th Ed)?

Just to confirm, 10mm bond from Main Earth Terminal to incoming gas and water, on the consumer's side, within 600mm of entering the property and before and joints or tees. There is no need for any further supplementary bonding in the kitchen, regardless of how old or new your consumer unit is.

To be pedantic, there is no such thing as Earth bonding - you are either earthing or bonding ;)

And to be even more pedantic,

Main protective bonding, supplementary equipotential bonding and
protective earthing. ;)

Still studyin :confused:

"To be pedantic, there is no such thing as Earth bonding - you are either earthing or bonding"

OK before ADS we had EEBADS.
If we remove ADS from EEBADS we get EEB as being the bit that's now gone.

What did EEB stand for then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back