Earth bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My incoming Gas and Water are in the Kitchen under the sink. Neither is earth bonded to the Consumer unit which is by the front door. My question is this. Do I run 2 x 10mm green/yellow to the CU, that's one from each pipe. Or should I connect a short length of 10mm green/yellow between the gas and water pipes and then run a single wire to the CU? All help appreciated. Steve.

Sponsored Links
you can use THE SAME WIRE to bond both servises, but it MUST be unbroken or connected using crimp on connectors ( and the link the same size.. )

to do it unbroken just use a knife to cut away about 15mm of the insulation where the fisrt connection is to be, bend the wire round a screw driver then put it round the screw of the bonding clamp making sure it is under any washer that may be fitted ( note that this should also be done for the last connection, looping it round the screw not just under on one side.. )..

the cable should be looped with the incomming side on the left so it goes round the screw clockwise. this stops it getting pushed out when tightening the screw...

ColJack said:
you can use THE SAME WIRE to bond both servises, but it MUST be unbroken or connected using crimp on connectors ( and the link the same size.. )

Don't like the "or connected using crimp on connectors" as this to me means breaking the conductor, it needs to be unbroken from the CU to the final connection.

Thanks for the help. I understand the correct method now...Connect to the gas pipe then cut out a short 15mm section of insulation and clamp the exposed copper to the water pipe and then connect at the CU end..Single uncut piece of wire. Steve.

Sponsored Links
Yep, thats it.

This is done so if the strap on the water is removed or the wire comes out the clamp then bonding is not lost to the gas too.

Hi All, I am also putting in a 32A ring to the kitchen (solid floor). Is it acceptable to run the 10mm earth bonding wire through the metal socket boxes via the safe zones with the 2.5mm T+E for the ring ? The other alternative is to run the earth behind the skirting board along one of the walls. I know this is not accepted for the ring wiring but what about the earth ?

steve1811uk said:
Hi All, I am also putting in a 32A ring to the kitchen (solid floor). Is it acceptable to run the 10mm earth bonding wire through the metal socket boxes

It would make it very difficult if you ever needed to change the box as the bond wire cannot in theory be cut and re-joined.

How should I run the bonding wire then as the gas and water are in the kitchen placed above a solid floor. I was planning to run the bonding wire surface clipped behind the kitchen units and then behind the skirting (to get across the solid floor) and then under the floorboards. Steve.

Thanks for the reply. I already read those but wondered if the earth bonding wire was considered as a cable in that context. Of course I will be running the ring in the safe zones created by the socket locations. Those regulations seem to be about avoiding electrocution by drilling into a cable in an unsafe zone. The only other route I can see for the earth bonding is to go up to ceiling height and then along two sides of the room and then back down again! A lot of chiselling out and plastering. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back