earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just check the correct earth bonding requirements.

Am I correct in saying there should be:

A single uninterupted connection between the earth sheathing on the incoming supply and the mains water inlet (600mm consumer side of stop-cock), this to be linked to the hot water pipe but not the sink.
+
A single uninterupted connection between the earth sheathing on the incoming supply and the cold water water supply in the bathroom, this to be linked to the hot water pipe.
+
The link between supply & CU.

& NO link to the gas supply.

Also what is the required cable size?

Appreciate any advise (other than the politically correct industry statement of get a pro sparky in).

Sponsored Links
im presuming your on a TNS supply with you mentioning an earth from the sheath of the supply cable.

The earth from the sheath should connect into a main earth terminal probably should be 16mm cable but if its an old installation could be 6 or 10.

the main earth terminal can be inside the CU or seperate. from here you should have an uninterupted 10mm to your gas supply AND a 10mm to your water supply.

you should have supplementary bonding in the bathroom which connects back to the MET.

industryspark said:
you should have supplementary bonding in the bathroom which connects back to the MET.
Really?

Grr Nozspark beat me to it :(

Sponsored Links
You should have a 10mm² link between your MET and the water pipe (max 600mm from cock on the consumer's side).

The same for gas (max 600mm from meter before branch pipework OR where the pipe enters the property in the case of external meter).

The link between supply & CU: Yes, 16mm².

You can do this work yourself without notifying.

You do not need any supplementary bonding in the kitchen, but do in the bathroom.

Please search, these topics have been done to death.

Hmm.. not getting you to fit a replacement HW cylinder for me, then...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back