earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i have gas coming into the property (external)in non metal pipe and MDPE pipe for water(external)with plastic pipe internal. What are the requirements for earth bonding in a property?

Sponsored Links
If i have gas coming into the property (external)in non metal pipe
Are you sure?
and MDPE pipe for water(external)with plastic pipe internal. What are the requirements for earth bonding in a property?
As for the water.
The regulations, bizarrely in my opinion, say plastic pipes do not require bonding, whereas in actual fact, you cannot bond plastic.

I'm sure it will be metal from the meter to your appliances and so will most probably need bonding - within 600mm of the meter or where it enters the building.

It will need to be tested to find out for sure.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it will be metal from the meter to your appliances and so will most probably need bonding - within 600mm of the meter or where it enters the building.
If it really were true that the gas enters the property in plastic pipe (something I'm fairly sure I've seen, but everyone tells me I'm wrong every time I mention it!), there surely would be no need for main bonding, even if pipework downstream of the meter was metal?

Kind Regards, John.

If it really were true that the gas enters the property in plastic pipe (something I'm fairly sure I've seen, but everyone tells me I'm wrong every time I mention it!),
That's why I was cautious.
there surely would be no need for main bonding, even if pipework downstream of the meter was metal?
Possibly, but cannot tell without examination/testing.

If it really were true that the gas enters the property in plastic pipe (something I'm fairly sure I've seen, but everyone tells me I'm wrong every time I mention it!),
That's why I was cautious.
That's reasonable enough - but the OP seemed pretty adamant about the gas entering in plastic.

there surely would be no need for main bonding, even if pipework downstream of the meter was metal?
Possibly, but cannot tell without examination/testing.
'Examine', I agree - to ascertain whether the gas really does enter the property in a plastic pipe. However, if the answer to that is 'yes', then I'm not sure what you're going to 'test' - whatever resistance to earth internal metal gas pipework may have, it couldn't be an extraneous-conductive-part in that situation, and therefore would not require main bonding. Indeed, if it did have a fairly low resistance path to earth (despite a plastic supply pipe), that would presumably have to be because of other bonding and CPCs, not because of an intrinsic path to earth. Of course, those in the "if it's metal, earth or bond it" camp would do so, but others would then suggest that so doing actually increases hazards ... so take your pick, I guess :).

Kind Regards, John.

whether the gas really does enter the property in a plastic pipe. However, if the answer to that is 'yes', then I'm not sure what you're going to 'test' - whatever resistance to earth internal metal gas pipework may have, it couldn't be an extraneous-conductive-part in that situation, and therefore would not require main bonding. Indeed, if it did have a fairly low resistance path to earth (despite a plastic supply pipe), that would presumably have to be because of other bonding and CPCs, not because of an intrinsic path to earth. Of course, those in the "if it's metal, earth or bond it" camp would do so, but others would then suggest that so doing actually increases hazards ... so take your pick, I guess :)
That's all true - but cannot definitively say from here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back