Earth bridging over powershower pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok quicky question....

Ok, just installed a mixer shower with a boost pump. THe boost pump is plastic so breaks the earth bonding on the pipework.

So...

I need to add supplimentary earth bonding to bridge the hot/cold pipes leaving the pump to the hot or cold pipes entering the pump...

Should I also connect the earth to the RCD protected supply for the pump? i.e. earth strap from RCD supply earth to cold pipe leaving pump, bridge earth between this cold and the hot outgoing pipe from pump, and bridge across the pump aswell to one of the incoming pipes to the pump?

Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
yep every electrical ciricuit in the bathroom needs to be supp bonded eg heated towl rails,showers,shower pumps,lights,imm heater ect

If the pump is within the bathroom only the inlet pipes need to be connected to the existing bonding arrangements where they enter the bathroom (or outside as close as possible) You will also need to connect the existing earth bonding to the earth terminal in spur feeding the pump

If the pump is outside the bathroom then the outlet pipes need to be connected to the existing bonding where they enter the bathroom but you don't need to connect the bonding to the earth in the spur.

There is no need to cross bond the inlet & outlet pipes under any circumstances.

Some members have taken the time to post some very clear instructions on bathroom earthing which you can find in the Wiki section and because you have a pump in circuit nothing changes.

Have a read and pop back if you have any questions

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm off to read the wiki pages now! Should have done that first! (DOH)

Been reading loads on it.. The pump is situated in the airing cupboard takign teh supply off the rear of a plug socket there via a fused RCD switch... (That reminds me I need to change the 13 amp fuse with a 3 amp as per the installation instructions.)

I'll read the wiki and post any questions if I am still unclear!

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated!

(Now to get the spark in to replace my old fuse board, yes fuse wire, with a nice modern CU...But thats anouther storey and one job I don't fancy myself!)

Cheers
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back