New Earth bonding - RCD now trips

N

Newboy

Installed a replacement shower pump.Electrical supply via a fused spur protected by RCD as the consumer unit. No earth bonds on the pump pipework so I installed earth clamps on the hot & cold pipework both on the supply side and the shower side of the pump so all four tails are now earth bonded to each other. The RCD protecting the ring main has now tripped 4 times in two days - not related to when the shower pump is running - any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
newboy said:
Installed a replacement shower pump.Electrical supply via a fused spur protected by RCD as the consumer unit. No earth bonds on the pump pipework so I installed earth clamps on the hot & cold pipework both on the supply side and the shower side of the pump so all four tails are now earth bonded to each other. The RCD protecting the ring main has now tripped 4 times in two days - not related to when the shower pump is running - any suggestions?

obviously there is a fault somewhere. unless you have proper test equipment/knowledge, it might be a good idea to call someone who has

My main concern is that the new earth bonding is leading to the trip - any suggestions.

I have installed quite a few pumps, on new installs I use a qualified sparks - unfortunately he is way for the next weeks or so.

newboy said:
My main concern is that the new earth bonding is leading to the trip - any suggestions.

I have installed quite a few pumps, on new installs I use a qualified sparks - unfortunately he is way for the next weeks or so.

could be a fault with the pump leakin (most likely neutral since it trips when its not on) power to the pipework. unless you have an insulation tester, this could be hard to find

Sponsored Links
Would a neutral leaking to earth occur randomly - ie 4 times over 2 days with nothing obvious triggering the trip?

newboy said:
Would a neutral leaking to earth occur randomly - ie 4 times over 2 days with nothing obvious triggering the trip?

NO...you have a fault, call an electrician and stop risking your life and those of your family.

andy said:
newboy said:

could be a fault with the pump leakin (most likely neutral since it trips when its not on) power to the pipework. unless you have an insulation tester, this could be hard to find

Andy, spurs are double pole, so tripping when off is not going to be the pump unless the spur is permaanently on.

modern ones are, some older ones i've seen most certainly are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back