RCD Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a shower pump and connected this to a RCD spur on a ring main circuit. The RCD had worked for a long period without tripping but now it trips immediately after it is reset even without the pump being connected to it.

I've got an old fuse box rather than a new consumer unit with MCCBs etc. and I've even tried removing all the fuses other than the ring main but again no luck.

I've checked with a multimeter that the live/neutral are not shorting to the earth but not sure what else to try.

Any thoughts and is the RCD faulty?

There aren't any other RCDs in the house.

Sponsored Links
50p says you've connected it wrong.

how about some pics?

The shower pump is about 250W so nothing significant (it is only a pump not an electric shower).

Can't get any pics for a few days but the installation is fairly simple as below.

- Supply terminals of RCD spur connected to ring main - checked live, neutral, earth connections and all fine.

- Load terminals on RCD spur connected to shower pump - checked all connections and fine.

I have disconnected the shower pump from the RCD at the moment in case this was creating leakage between live/neutral and earth and causing the tripping.

At the moment I've only got the fuse for the ring-main in the fuse box and nothing connected to the load side of the RCD and it still trips (i.e. in won't let you reset). If you turn the power off and then push reset on the RCD you can tell that the switch has latched on but as soon as you turn the power on it trips.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back