Earth cable to short for earth electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While connecting electric shower i found that earth cable is to short.
Can I connect earth from shower in to copper pipe which is connected to shower?
OR I have to lead new cable to earth the shower?

cheers
luk

Sponsored Links
Don't connect it to the copper pipework, best bet is to get some new cable of the same size and then a maintenance free junction box of the correct rating and use it to join the old and new wiring together or if that all sounds too much just get in a qualified elecy

While connecting electric shower i found that earth cable is to short.
How short? if it's just within the electrical shower units cover, then a 32A rated connection block and short length of earth cable that is the same sized (or large) CSA than that is existing.
Can I connect earth from shower in to copper pipe which is connected to shower?
No it needs to be connected to the terminal provided.
OR I have to lead new cable to earth the shower?
If the cable does not reach within the shower unit, then yes. You will need to take a length of cable (I would replace all three cores with twin and earth)
from the shower isolator to the shower unit. Remember this must be routed in permitted safe zones and be rated at least the same as the existing cable.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back