Replacing an electric shower .... Earthing Wire Quick Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am replacing an electric shower but there is an issue with the existing earth cable. The issue is that the existing earth cable is sleeved and connected to the old shower. In the new shower I don't have earthing link similar to the old one, instead I have the terminal block connection for the earth wire.

What should I do, would I need to change the whole existing wire passing through the wall to get an earthing end connection which can be compatible with the terminal block?

Please advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The earth wire from the supply cable should go into the 'E' or 'PE' terminal in the shower connection block.

I'm not sure that vish is talking about an earth connection - I think he may wall be talking about a supplementary equipotential bonding conductor.

The issue is that the existing earth cable is sleeved and connected to the old shower.
What "earth cable"?

The supply to the shower is, surely, twin & earth, 3 cores, going into a 3-way terminal block inside the shower.

Do you have something additional?

In the new shower I don't have earthing link similar to the old one, instead I have the terminal block connection for the earth wire.
When you say "earthing link", what do you mean?

Could you post photos of the connections inside existing & new showers?

What should I do, would I need to change the whole existing wire passing through the wall to get an earthing end connection which can be compatible with the terminal block?
"earthing end connection"?

Sponsored Links
For the incoming power supply cable that you have photographed each the live, neutral and sleeved earth must be connected to the appropriate terminals inside the shower.
What is the make and mode of the shower?

I have just seen it is a Triton shower. The earth terminal is shown in your second picture. It is below the live and neutral terminal which is covered by the label.
This will be shown in your instructions - I cannot understand why you haven't seen this.

I have just seen it is a Triton shower. The earth terminal is shown in your second picture. It is below the live and neutral terminal which is covered by the label.
This will be shown in your instructions - I cannot understand why you haven't seen this.
If I understand the note on the first picture, the OP's difficulty is in knowing how to fit the existing earth conductor (which has been bent to fit under a screw) intro the terminal block.

Vish - if what I say above is correct, you simply need to straighten out that copper earth wire (or, ideally, cut it back to a bit that hasn't been bent, if there is enough to play with) to get it to fit into the earth block. Alternatively (probably better), you could 'squash' the coiled end of the earth wire with pliers and put the resulting double thickness of wire into the terminal block.

Kind Regards, John.

Vish - if what I say above is correct, you simply need to straighten out that copper earth wire (or, ideally, cut it back to a bit that hasn't been bent, if there is enough to play with) to get it to fit into the earth block. Alternatively (probably better), you could 'squash' the coiled end of the earth wire with pliers and put the resulting double thickness of wire into the terminal block.

Kind Regards, John.
Erh, he is going to have to strip back the grey sheath as well because those conductors will not reach the respective terminal blocks in their present format.
I would be a bit concerned about the OP fitting this shower if the s(he)didn't know how to connect a conductor to a terminal block, wouldn't you?

Erh, he is going to have to strip back the grey sheath as well because those conductors will not reach the respective terminal blocks in their present format.
Yes, that may be necessary, although the unsheathed earth wire looks a fair bit longer than the other two.

I would be a bit concerned about the OP fitting this shower if the s(he)didn't know how to connect a conductor to a terminal block, wouldn't you?
Very much so - but, as so often discussed here, I doubt that vish has any thoughts other than connecting it himself, so the least of the evils is probably for us to assist.

Kind Regards, John.

A bit?

I'd be very concerned. I looked at the photos, and I cannot for the life of me imagine why anybody would be having a problem knowing what to put where.

Very much so - but, as so often discussed here, I doubt that vish has any thoughts other than connecting it himself, so the least of the evils is probably for us to assist.
No - the least of evils is to encourage him to get an electrician, not to encourage him to do something you don't believe he should be doing.

Saying "I don't believe that he'll listen to the best advice so I'll give him something sub-optimal" is a cop-out, and a dangerous one.

If you feel the best advice is "leave it alone and get an electrician" then that's what you must give, without question. If he chooses to ignore it that is 100% his responsibility, and absolutely nothing to do with you.

Should we ask about RCDs, what the breaker rating is, what the ratings of the old and new showers are...?

No - the least of evils is to encourage him to get an electrician, not to encourage him to do something you don't believe he should be doing.
Saying "I don't believe that he'll listen to the best advice so I'll give him something sub-optimal" is a cop-out, and a dangerous one.
If it's optimal you want, the best course would probably be to close the forum. In the great majority of cases, if someone doesn't feel able and safe doing something without asking questions, then, in an ideal (optimal') world, they should not be doing it on the basis of written advice provided by distant anonymous people who are not necessarily acquainted with all the relevant factors.

Kind Regards, John.

In the great majority of cases, if someone doesn't feel able and safe doing something without asking questions, then, in an ideal (optimal') world, they should not be doing it on the basis of written advice provided by distant anonymous people who are not necessarily acquainted with all the relevant factors.
If you feel that then you tell them that, and the site has served a purpose.

In the great majority of cases, if someone doesn't feel able and safe doing something without asking questions, then, in an ideal (optimal') world, they should not be doing it on the basis of written advice provided by distant anonymous people who are not necessarily acquainted with all the relevant factors.
If you feel that then you tell them that, and the site has served a purpose.
It's not an ideal/optimal world, and that causes me to be a pragmatist. I realise our views differ.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back