where should i connect the earth wire on my consumer board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently put in a new shower circuit with 100mm t&e cable. I have connected the mcb with live and neutral as per the existing mcb wiring. Which side of my consumer board should i connect the earth.

The connection block with all the other mcbs wire earths or the other earth connection block where the power company earth cable is fitted.

Does this matter and if so why.

Sponsored Links
I hope that its a typo and you meant 10mm, not 100mm!! (otherwise the tail will wag the dog, as the incoming feed will be only 16 or 25mm most likely)
Unless you are doing something very odd, the earth core of the shower feed is to be handled like the earth core of any other final circuit, (lights/power ring etc) and should go to the same earth bar as all these. However, this in its turn should be solidly bonded to the main earth terminal, and if it isn't something is badly wrong. Electrically they are all connected together, but final circuit earths should go to the earth bar in the consumer unit - and in a modern CU there should be at least one hole per final circuit MCB position, so their should be an obvious 'vacant' one.
Regards, M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back