Earth Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just put a new cabinet around my consumer unit and moved the consumer unit up the wall slightly to accommodate the cabinet door. The problem now is that the main earth cable (16mm) is too short and there is no way to replace it as it comes direct from the incomer and that is sealed. I also have no space to fit an earth block.

Is there a way to safely joint it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So you've left the installation with no earth conductor?

You could crimp it.

Sponsored Links
Edit. Yes I agree probably not a DIY thing to do. Sorry for this poorly thought of post.

Are you really encouraging a DIYer to try and break his cutout with a screwdriver??? :eek:

Stupid advice, and it would be down right dangerous to try and do so.

Are you really encouraging a DIYer to try and break his cutout with a screwdriver??? :eek:

Stupid advice, and it would be down right dangerous to try and do so.

Would not want to anyway. I can get hold of the equipment to crimp 16mm as we use them at work for building control panels. but 16mm crimps are uninsulated... I assume you can just tape it up with insulation tape?

Would not want to anyway. I can get hold of the equipment to crimp 16mm as we use them at work for building control panels. but 16mm crimps are uninsulated... I assume you can just tape it up with insulation tape?
Heat-shrink would probably be nicer.

Kind Regards, John

I assume you can just tape it up with insulation tape?
There's no such thing.

And how hard would it have been to make the cupboard big enough to take an earth block?

Or how hard would it be to have the earth block outside the cabinet, e.g. near the cutout or meter?

I assume you can just tape it up with insulation tape?
There's no such thing.

And how hard would it have been to make the cupboard big enough to take an earth block?

Or how hard would it be to have the earth block outside the cabinet, e.g. near the cutout or meter?

There is no such thing as electrical insulation tape? I best tell my boss then that the stuff we have been buying for over 10 years is fake!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_tape

The cabinet was made the max size it could be for the location it is in, I cannot go messing about with northern power grids cutout and there is no place to put it near the cutout.

Please for once... if you cant comment anything of any help then just shhhhhhhhh

Could you not put the met block near the main head and just run up a 16mm direct to the cu?

(I assume the head is near the floor and the cu and cabinet up the wall).

Or get some trunking that could enclose a met block and fit the trunking, fit the met block inside the trunking and thus you have a join that is enclosed?

Or use a sp service / Henley block and add a earth sticker to the face?

There is no such thing as electrical insulation tape? I best tell my boss then that the stuff we have been buying for over 10 years is fake!
Rather than do that you could try asking him whether the tape you use and the methods used to apply it meet the requirements in the Wiring Regulations for insulation.

When I was younger, working in a theatrical suppliers, we were told to call it PVC tape and not insulating tape for the very reason BAS mentions.

problem solved, we had some of these at work and they fit perfectly. I have got one that is rated at 160A (thats all we had)

eriflex-569010-l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back