Earth Cable

Sponsored Links
That is, in effect, an earth block. I thought you had nowhere to put one?

EDIT: Chuffing Heck!

Not only that, it's bigger than an earth block which he said he had no room for anywhere.

Not only that, it's bigger than an earth block which he said he had no room for anywhere.
Indeed - and if he chopped off two (or even one at a pinch) 'ways' of an earth block, that would probably represent the most compact solution other than crimping. I really don't understand whether the perceived problem is about aesethics, or what.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed - and if he chopped off two (or even one at a pinch) 'ways' of an earth block, that would probably represent the most compact solution other than crimping. I really don't understand whether the perceived problem is about aesethics, or what.

Kind Regards, John

The earth block I have already is 8 way and too long to fit in place. This fits nicely next to the meter.

The earth block I have already is 8 way and too long to fit in place. This fits nicely next to the meter.
As I suggested, why not just chop of two ways of the 8-way block - the result will then be appreciably smaller (and,some would say, neater) than what you are contemplating.

Kind Regards, John.

As I suggested, why not just chop of two ways of the 8-way block - the result will then be appreciably smaller (and,some would say, neater) than what you are contemplating.

Kind Regards, John.

but in doing that i would be removing the fixings from the end of the brass earth block...

but in doing that i would be removing the fixings from the end of the brass earth block...
You could retain one fixing hole - how many do you want? In fact, provided that you clipped the cable to the wall/board, there would be no real need to attach the block at all. Maybe I'm missing something, since you do seem to be making a bit of a 'meal' out of this little task.

Kind Regards, John

The problem now is that the main earth cable (16mm) is too short and there is no way to replace it as it comes direct from the incomer and that is sealed. I also have no space to fit the 8-way earth block which I have and I absolutely refuse to go out and spend a couple of quid on a 3- or 4-way one.

I won't tell you that though, in case you tell me to stop f'ing about and spend a couple of quid, so instead I'll ask is there a way to safely joint it?

Thanks

The problem now is that the main earth cable (16mm) is too short and there is no way to replace it as it comes direct from the incomer and that is sealed. I also have no space to fit the 8-way earth block which I have and I absolutely refuse to go out and spend a couple of quid on a 3- or 4-way one. I won't tell you that though, in case you tell me to stop f'ing about and spend a couple of quid, so instead I'll ask is there a way to safely
If the OP is determined not to buy a smaller block and not to chop up the one he has, I wonder if he's considered mounting the 8-w one vertically - which may possibly afford a means of making it 'fit'. I'd still love to see some pics so I could properly understand this 'no space to fit' issue!

Kind Regards, John

Really? Personally IDGAS about his perceived problem.
I'm rather intrigued - aren't you?

It's also interesting to see how people value (or don't) their time. On the basis of the notional monetary value of my time, I probably could have bought a boxful of 4-way earth blocks for the 'cost' of the time I've spent reading and participating in this discussion :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back