earth leakage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Initially noticed i was getting a slight shock from bedroom switch brass wall plate. Tried electrical screwdriver tester on it and it lights up for a split second then fades.After a while it will do the same. The same thing is happening with tester on some other switches and sockets, but not all. i suspect there is a current leakage somewhere.
Problem is: When i switch the consumer-unit off, thus presumably isolating the live and neutral completely, the same thing is still happening, which i thought was impossible.
any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
stu26344 said:
. Tried electrical screwdriver tester on it and it lights up for a split second then fades. any help appreciated

Try using the correct tool for the job

static shocks from feet scuffing on the carpet would be what I would put my money on

fair enough, but can you explain about the power being switched off?

Sponsored Links
the earth path is not disconnected. this is what the "electricity" is travelling down when you touch the switch. Shows that you DID earth the face plate! which is good!

OOI, do you wear nylon or polyester clothes? I used to get really bad shocks from the metal doors when i worked at argos, and had to wear a 95% polyester (or something) shirt. Wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath stopped the shocks!

the problem is, even the copper piping in the house is causing the tester to glow briefly so i think its more serious

Its just a potential difference between yourself and earth.

Throw your tester away.... it means nothing!

carlos

throw the tester in the bin. people have stories of them glowing in contact with FRESH AIR on this forum :LOL:

if you really want to test voltage and / or continuity, buy a cheap autoranging multimeter. £5-10 piece of kit.

Is the shock continuous or just a small jolt when you first touch? small jolt = static. nowt to worry about. and there is voltage travelling across the neon in the screwdriver for the brief time, so it glows.

The metal face plate, the copper pipes, and most other fixed metal things in your home are earthed, so this provides a release for the static in your body. it goes thru the house wiring to earth.

When you turn the consumer unit off, earth is NOT disconnected for safety reasons. So everything is still connected to earth, static can still be released in this way.

Any combination of rubber soled shoes, synthetic/mix carpets, polyester shirts, nylon undies = blue spark from your finger to any metal object (or the cat's nose ;) ).

When I worked in a hotel I used to carry a key in my hand to touch the brass doorknobs before opening them.

All due to static and nothing to do with the electric mains.

If you get a tingling when you touch a metal object, that lasts for as long as you touch it, preferably with your knuckle, that's when you have something to worry about. And you need a meter, not a neon screwdriver.

If static electricity is the cause of the shocks, low humidity is usually the cause, in conjunction with synthetic clothing items and carpets etc. Use a portable dehumidifier to prevent this, also there is an attachment available for central heating radiators, this is kept topped up with water, or spray the carpet daily with water, to raise the humidity.
Jaymack

jaymackand johnd, you could be right. I tried touching the switch plates etc. in bare feet later and got no shock. earlier i was wearing rubber flip flops. Do you think that proves the point?
thanks to all the contributers for the assistance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back