Earth rod Cable Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outbuilding which is about 100m away and I am about to run a tempory cable running to this building as I am currently carrying out other building work and cannot lay a permanent cable until all work is finished.

Anyway the building I will have power to has a 40A Garage CU fitted already.

I have an earth rod here doing nothing so I was going to install it. What size of cable should I use to connect to the earth rod?

I have some 6mm but I doubt that will be suitable even for a 3m max run from rod to CU.

Because of the distance, and on a TT setup I could put this Rod to good use.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sorry,
imo installing a TT earth rod is not a recommended project for DIY as it must be tested to confirm it is in good contact with earth.

I'll be installing it myself and family friend will be testing it when he next passes by.

Would ask him for cable size but he's on holiday until next week.

Darkness said:
I'll be installing it myself and family friend will be testing it when he next passes by.

Would ask him for cable size but he's on holiday until next week.

TT needs 6mm² at least for the main earth. altho i would install 10mm²

Sponsored Links
Please note that the TT install must not be used until it has been adequately tested. You should also take into account the earth fault loop impedance which will most likely mean RCD protection for the whole CU on the TT install. Socket outlets must be on 30mA RCD.

Copper earthing conductor sizes for TT supplies with efli not less than 1 ohm:

Burried:
Unprotected 25mm²
Protected against corrosion (by sheath) 16mm²
Protected against corrosion and mechanical damage 2.5mm²

Not burried:
Unprotected 4mm²
Protected against corrosion (by sheath) 4mm²
Protected against corrosion and mechanical damage 2.5mm²

The CU has the 40A incomer, RCD protected so everything is RCD protected.

Nothing will be used util the rod is tested.

Sorry if I sound a bit OTT with this, it is just if a TT system is not correctly commissioned it can be very dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back