TT Earth rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having some building work done outside the back of my home, & i have temporarily moved it. The rod is now approx three feet away from the CU under the floor boards. It is a new 2 meter rod with new 16mm cable & the rod is down through approx 8inch of concrete floor into the earth below. My question is can i leave it there or will i have to put it back outside when the building work is done ??.

Sponsored Links
Earth electrodes shouldn't be installed in ground that never sees a drop of rainwater!, they should also be tested after installation.

Have you considered asking your DNO if they can provide a TN earthing terminal?

The ground arround here seems to be very moist even in summer & as the the cable was bolted to the rod it was pulled up a little bit & made a wet suction sound. I dont want the hassle & exspence of a TN connection as i have heard from some neighbours that it could be expensive.If it not safe to leave under floor will just have it put back outside the get it checked by electrician.

If a TN terminal is available then I shouldn't imagine they'd charge you more than £100

Are you planning to change the CU as part of these building works, and are you aware of the increased RCD requirements for TT earthing systems?

Sponsored Links
I was going to change the CU, no i did not know about the RCD requirements. I will just get electrians to do the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back