Earth straps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bro in law fitted a new bathroom suite for us cheap, very good. He also disconnected the earth strap from the mains electrical circuit to the pipework behind the wash basin, but did not refit it.

How would I go about refitting the earth strap please, where do I connect it to in the electrical circuit?

Same question for the kitchen too, he also fitted that!

Sponsored Links
alan blackburn said:
My bro in law fitted a new bathroom suite for us cheap, very good. He also disconnected the earth strap from the mains electrical circuit to the pipework behind the wash basin, but did not refit it.

How would I go about refitting the earth strap please, where do I connect it to in the electrical circuit?
You need to read, learn and understand all of the requirements relating to this:

Bathrooms: http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

Extraneous definitions: http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/E169-9.pdf

Earthing v bonding: http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Earthing Bonding guide.pdf

Earthing plastic pipes: IEE article on plastic pipes.

You should also, in case you care about the legality of what you do, be aware that work on supplementary bonding in bathrooms is notifiable.

Same question for the kitchen too, he also fitted that!
There are no requirements for supplementary equipotential bonding in kitchens, but if the kitchen is where the water/gas/oil supply pipes enter the house then there should be main bonding cables between those and the main earth terminal. The size of bonding cables that you require depends on the type of supply that you have, and possibly on DNO specific requirements, and given the questions you're asking I would advise getting an electrician to sort out the main bonding.

And to sort out your brother-in-law if he disconnected those....

ban-all-sheds said:
You should also, in case you care about the legality of what you do, be aware that work on supplementary bonding in bathrooms is notifiable.

Just reading the part p amendments which afaik come into force on 6th April, if I am reading them correctly installing or upgrading main or supp. bonding is no longer notifiable.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I really must read the new version - April 6th looms......

With all the new H&S, Building, Company, Employer, Employee, CCTV, Data protection regs (to name only a few) that have been introduced in the last few years I'm wondering just how much reading we are expected to do to stay on the "right side" :cry:

Anyone fancy a discussion on the implications of banning all steps ladders on site, the scraping of the CIS 715 card...and so on

Pensdown said:
Anyone fancy a discussion on the implications of banning all steps ladders on site?

Well it would certainly statistically stand to potentially save more lives than part P has, but I expect the goverment is well aware that nothing would ever get done if they introduced that bit of red tape.

Of course some people would take to inprovising if a ladder wasn't available, back when I was doing my A-levels at college I was part of the team that helped out with the technical bits of any theatrical productions they put on, we had borrowed some PAR cans and rigged them on the bars above the stage, maybe 10-12 feet above the stage, the tower was taken apart before they got derigged, and I remember a mate of mine standing on top of a stack of theatrical tables/platforms, with a chair on top trying to de-rig them :eek: :rolleyes:

Did you learn that while on holiday in spain? Sounds safer than their scaffolding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back