Questionable advice from an electrician.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had an electrician visit to quote on replacing my main circuit board with split load RCD type.

I've been doing some rewiring and asked if he'd sign that off too, which he said was fine since it would be covered by the testing of the installation during the fitment of the new board.

When he saw the work I had done on rewiring the lights upstairs and fitting a new bathroom he said I would have to make sure that not only the bonding in the bathroom was up to scratch, but also that I should put an earth strap between the plumbing and the earth of the lighting circuit.

I can do this, but I've never read it before, and if the earth in the lighting circuit is the standard one you get in a 1.5mm twin/earth cable, what size of cable do I use to strap to the plumbing, which is all earthed with 6mm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

Sponsored Links
Makes a change to see a spark go in to change a consumer unit and actually know what he is talking about!

4mm would have sufficed for the bonding, but many councils spec 6mm as their minimum for their jobs. You need to take this bonding from the pipework you have already done to any circuits within the bathroom - lighting, shower, towel rail, fan heater etc. If you have more than one light and a light switch (all the same circuit), you need only bond one (assuming they are connected together with a cpc).

Sponsored Links
It has always been like that when we do work in council owned care homes and council houses.

......many councils spec 6mm as their minimum for their jobs......

I found both 6mm where you would expect 4mm supplimentary bonding, (and a few places you wouldn't, including each of the five legs of a fibreglass bath and the plughole of the ceramic basin connected to plastic waste pipe) AND a 10mm bond back to the MET :eek: after the council had been at work.

I don't think they had really grasped the concept of supplimentary bonding.

In the circumstances, the additional 10mm would probably make little difference, as it clamped to the cold water pipe about 6 feet directly above a 16mm earth at the stopcock in the kitchen directly below.

What is the CSA of 15mm copper pipe? somewhere about 25 - 35 mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back