earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi realise i have a major earthing /bonding probs in my house built circa early 60s Have partially installed new ring mains . (all to code ) and installed new lighting circuit (to code). Will be working on replacing rest of new ring main soon ....(old remaining/spur radial system on sep circuit ).
I understand i need to cross bond all copper pipework and need to bridge sections of plastic pipework with 6mm earthwire etc to provide continuous earth back to new consumer unit etc, and will do this now . Regs or publications of exp of regs states that radiators and pipework must be earthed /bonded .
QUESTION 1 does this mean earth strapped copper pipe connected to rad by compression joint must also be joined with earth strap on radiator too .or can it be assumed that compression joint joining pipe to rad provides sufficient clean path re earth bonding ??

QUESTION2. What do i do if i cant get behind bath panel to crossbond bath taps to bath(old enamelled cast iron type) to pipework (elec shower over bath etc, ) I can however cross bond pipes linking w.basin copper pipes to bath copper pipes (and know its cont copper pipe between the two ) is this ok ???

QUESTION3 I have just installed a few lights that are double insulated and hence need no earth and have wired these into existing (earthed)lighting circuit via junction boxes with new switches etc..Is this likely to cause probs? or is it against the regs to mix earthed lighting and unearthed lighting(double insulated )within same lighting circuit.
your comments would be appreciated at the earliest poss opportunity.

nigelsz

Sponsored Links
QUESTION2. What do i do if i cant get behind bath panel to crossbond bath taps to bath(old enamelled cast iron type) to pipework (elec shower over bath etc, ) I can however cross bond pipes linking w.basin copper pipes to bath copper pipes (and know its cont copper pipe between the two ) is this ok ???

i herd you can crossbond in the airingcupboard if you cant get acsess...weatger this is true or not....

All pipework and electrical circuits (lighting / shower / shaver point) within bathroom area require supplementary bonding. If the airing cupboard / immersion cupboard islocated within bathroom this also needs xbonding.

So you need to get access to your bath, but I have heard of limitations (ie, tiled over etc)

Radiator in bathroom needs to be bonded using earth clamps not easy earths on both pipes (incoming / outgoing)

QUESTION 3 this is perfectly acceptable, simply tuck the unconnected and sleeved earth wire neatly out of the way in the new light unit. In the switch connect the earth wire to the terminal on the back box (If applicable). Note: Do not cut the unused earth wire off it may be required at a later date.

Sponsored Links
supersparks,

Don't know if you know,you can use the "quote" button on the top right hand corner and just edit out what you want instead of copy & paste it.

Make it easier for us to read ;)

masona said:
supersparks,

Don't know if you know,you can use the "quote" button on the top right hand corner and just edit out what you want instead of copy & paste it.

Make it easier for us to read ;)
yes i did masona, but i accedently deleted the 'start quote' command

>So you need to get access to your bath, but I have heard of limitations (ie, tiled over etc)

il78, you think aspestos panalling would be a good enough reason? and i herd you dont need to bond a bath, as the taps are assumed to provide a adiquite path, unless, it is contact with structual metalwork...true?

il78, you think aspestos panalling would be a good enough reason?

Need to take that up with building regulations........is it meant to be there in the first place :!:

and i herd you dont need to bond a bath, as the taps are assumed to provide a adiquite path, unless, it is contact with structual metalwork

If thats the case lets not bond anything, if we assume that all connections are good and realiable within the pipe / metal work.....

Although....I know what you mean, as you dont need to bond kitchen sink / pipe-work, due to the fact that it is done in the bathroom......but I dont work for the IEE and I have nout to do with regulations....

il78 said:
il78, you think aspestos panalling would be a good enough reason?

Need to take that up with building regulations........is it meant to be there in the first place :!:

nope, it was a bath pannal, which was coated in a vinal stuff, only way past would have been to cut/break it out, so i just cross bonded everyother thing in sight, then again in the airing cupboard.......think i need to go and change that?

Do remember that, at present at least, there is no statutory requirement to comply with IEE 16. So you can do anything you like. The benefit in complying is that your installation will be as safe as it can be, and earth bonding is a significant part of the safety of the system.

I am not an electrician, but a surveyor. Cost and the difficulty of doing work is a significant factor for all of my clients, so I hate those electricians who try the "You'll have to have a complete rewire mate cos I got to comply with the Regs" because it is rubbish (and they don't work on my sites in future). In saving cost there are some things I am prepared to omit (or put off until later at least). However, one thing I would never omit is earth bonding.

That said, the new proposed Part P to the building regs may well make compliance with IEE 16 pretty well compulsory unless all you are doing is adding a socket, so it will be interesting to see that when it is finally published.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back