Earth to Consumer Unit

B*gger. B*gger. B*gger!!!

Defeated.

This is getting way beyond my level of having a go. At least I am still alive so many thanks again for all the knowledge and sound advice.

Have decided to postpone the door fitting for tomorrow (the fitters will be pleased!), take the safe option, get an electrician around and probably have a new consumer unit put in before progressing.

If anyone out there can give me a rough idea of what to expect to pay it would be appreciated.

If anyone in the Ascot area fancies providing a proper quote I'd be happy to talk.

Thanks everyone, great forum and very glad I found it.

Cheers,

Jon

Sponsored Links
You don't need a new CU in order to have a door fitted.

Your electrical installation does need attention, that's for sure, but regarding the earth cable, can't you just take it through the wall?

So I got it sorted.

The door fitters were stars and indeed we did manage to cut a conduit outside the new door frame for the "earth" cable to pass through. Temporarily.

Thankfully I am now aware that my electricity system needs updating - to be fair I would never have known or bothered about it without the helpful comments above.

Cheers guys (and girls?). Much appreciated.

PS: would still like an indication of the cost for a new CU fitted. Don't worry - I won't hold you to it.........

;)

Jon

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it is like giving a price for a second hand car, without seeing (and carrying out tests on) the whole installation for ourselves it is impossible to say how much it will cost. The cost can also vary on location. Best bet is to ask around friends and family members to see if they can recommend an electrician, also make sure they are a member of a competent person scheme such as the NICEIC domestic installer, NAPIT, ELECSA etc so they can self certify with your local authority building control (the website I linked to earlier should verify this).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back