Earth wire Argghhhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm no sparkie but when it comes to replacing a tatty light switch like for like I don't mind doing it myself other wise I will call an Electrician.

I was going to swap out my current Honeywell Wireless Thermostat with a nest. They both use an equivalent of nest heatlink and it all looks straight forward

From it looks like the
Honeywell to Nest
N > N
L > L
A > 2
B > 3

On the 2nd Gen nest heatlink The T1 has an earth symbol on but I'm not going to using the 12V so Im left with an earth wire. Do I just cut the earth wire and stick some electrical tape over it.

(it would have been easier with a 3rd Gen Heatlink as that has an earth connection).
Any help would be appreciated. Ta

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • 2.png
    2.png
    328.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.png
    3.png
    888.7 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Do not cut it. You might need it in the future.

Just put it in a separate connector and position it out of the way.

Wow thanks for the quick response Apologies but being a thicko but

what do i need to cap the wire off safely

1 of these
16A 12-TERMINAL TERMINAL STRIPS 10 PACK (91532)

or
maybe one of these

CHOCBOX CONNECTOR BOX (54936)

or something else.

Sponsored Links
In practice I agree with @EFLImpudence but in theory the earth goes to T1. It is shown as going there, as you have realised if not using the 12 volt supply it does not NEED to be connected, we have three extra low voltage options SELV (S stands for separated) PELV (An extra-low voltage system which is not electrically separated from Earth) and FELV (An extra-low voltage system in which not all of the protective measures required for SELV or PELV have been applied.) The Nest is an FELV system so it is up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back