Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone tell me - I assume that if you connect the live feed to the earth via a volt meter you should get 240v showing - if this is the case would this indicate that the earth was working as should.

Or am I completly wrong and should the volt meter not chow a reading if connected live to earth?

Your help and knowledge appreciated!

Regards, Neil

Sponsored Links
a volt meter will only show the potential difference between two points.
although you can get a voltage between point a and point b you may have no current.

But the answer you want is yes. But that does not mean to say you can use the earth as a neutral, why do you ask?

Many thanks Breezer,

The reason for the question is that I wanted to ensure that the earth was working as it should be - but I was not 100% that my asumptions were correct.

In theory connecting the live to the earth should show a voltage if the earth is functioning - but I needn't some firm advice to be sure.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As Breezer said, a voltmeter will only show a potential difference. It is no indication that your earth is functioning correctly. The only way to do that is with an earth fault loop impedance test, and if you arent sure what that is then you need a sparky to do one :).
Out of interest, why do you need to prove your earth. Is it suspect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back