Supply to shower problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've fitted a new electric shower which has its own RCD and a double pole pull switch en route to the actual unit. The shower is not working and the power light which should be on is not on. I have checked the supply and when I check the live feed to earth with a volt meter it is reading 245v. However, when checking the live feed via the neutral rail the voltmeter shows 0 volts. Is there some kind of problem with the supply on the neutral side?

Sponsored Links
I have checked the supply and when I check the live feed to earth with a volt meter it is reading 245v. However, when checking the live feed via the neutral rail the voltmeter shows 0 volts. Is there some kind of problem with the supply on the neutral side?
That would indeed appear to be what you are describing.

Kind Regards, John

How much of the wiring between CU and shower did you fiddle with as part of fitting the new shower?

If you go back and check the places where you did, you'll probably find where you broke it.

Sponsored Links
What was the result of your continuity (R1+R2) and Zs measurements that you made before you connected the shower?
'With respect' ... I have to say that this is a very BAS-like approach. Why not just make the point you are clearly alluding to, rather than doing so obliquely by asking questions to which you know the (almost certain) answer, and which the OP probably won't understand?

Kind Regards, John

OK.

So (Micheal Gove hates that) when you carried out the wiring, did you carry out continuity tests, end to end of the circuit? Were they ok?
If so, then there may be a problem with the circuit breaking down under load, and that would indicate bad connection(s) somewhere.

And if you did not do the tests how did you know it was safe to energise the circuit?

OK. ... So (Micheal Gove hates that) when you carried out the wiring, did you carry out continuity tests, end to end of the circuit? Were they ok? ... If so, then there may be a problem with the circuit breaking down under load, and that would indicate bad connection(s) somewhere.
(IMO) Better :)

However, even though it's now in language more likely to be understood by the OP, I would say that it's still a little 'oblique', in as much as it's pretty apparent that no tests, of any sort, will have been done, other than the voltage measurements reported in the OP. You are therefore probably just wasting your typing fingers with "...Were they OK? If so ....", aren't you? I would have thought that the OP should be advised what tests should now be undertaken (if he has the means of doing them - and I suspect his 'voltmeter' is probably a multimeter), rather than continuing to ask questions about hypothetical past tests which almost certainly were never undertaken - but perhaps that's just me?

Kind Regards, John

If no testing has taken place, other than those trying to recognise the fault. I would strongly advise the OP to employ someone who is competent, or (soon to be) skilled electrically! You have installed a shower, there is at least one fault, but you are probably unaware if the wiring meets regulation, the circuit trips within it's permitted time under fault, that the RCD trips within it's allowance and time or even if the RCD is rated correctly and probably have little knowledge if supplementary bonding is present. If you cannot test and understand the readings, time to put your feet up and get someone who can!

Pussyfoot about all you wish John, the truth is the OP should not be taking on tasks that is beyond them!

If no testing has taken place, other than those trying to recognise the fault. I would strongly advise the OP to employ someone who is competent, or (soon to be) skilled electrically! You have installed a shower, there is at least one fault ..... If you cannot test and understand the readings, time to put your feet up and get someone who can!
Exactly .....
Pussyfoot about all you wish John, the truth is the OP should not be taking on tasks that is beyond them!
I really don't understand what pussyfooting you think I've been doing. When I wrote "... Why not just make the point you are clearly alluding to, rather than doing so obliquely by asking questions ..." I was implying that TTC should probably have written something very similar to what you've just said, rather than playing the game of asking the OP for measurements which he knew jolly well had not been taken, using terminology which the OP almost certainly didn't understand, anyway. We have at least one person who regularly plays that game, and I personally think that one is more than enough :)

You will have noticed that my initial (and only) response to the OP did nothing to encourage or advise him - merely confirmed that his interpretation of the voltage measurements he had taken appeared to be correct.

Kind Regards, John

I really don't understand what pussyfooting you think I've been doing.
The OP is evidently out of their depths, they have installed an electrical shower and the only testing taken place has been because the shower did not power up. No tests to confirm any compliance or safety.
A perfectly fine selection of questions was asked by TTC regarding what other tests had been taken, if the OP did not understand the terminology used, they SHOULD NOT be undertaking this type of tests or installation. Instead of being critical of informed question being asked, you should be critical of uninformed tasks being undertaken.
If the OP did not understand the questions being asked or the procedures of testing, they themselves have the option to ask further question for clarity, you do not need to do this for them!

A perfectly fine selection of questions was asked by TTC regarding what other tests had been taken, if the OP did not understand the terminology used, they SHOULD NOT be undertaking this type of tests or installation. Instead of being critical of informed question being asked, you should be critical of uninformed tasks being undertaken.
I am critical of both - which is why I gave no specific answer to the OP, beyond commenting on his interpretation of his voltage measurements. I suppose it's 'just me' but I get rather irritated when people 'beat around bushes' by asking questions which they know will not/cannot be answered satisfactorily (even if understood), when what they should be doing is telling the OP that they are out of their depth.

As for terminology/language, this is primarily a forum to which DIYers come to ask questions. What proportion of such people would you expect to understand "R1+R2" or "Zs"? (would suggest incredibly few) If we refused to answer questions from people who didn't understand those terms, the forum would presumably be a very quiet place!

Kind Regards, John

what they should be doing is telling the OP that they are out of their depth.
On the basis of assumptions about the knowledge of the OP, and assumptions about his lack of testing?
Essentially yes. It is surely inconceivable that someone who had measured R1+R2 and Zs (as asked about by TTC) and understood their interpretation would have asked the question in the OP, isn't it? I'm not necessarily saying that failure to undertake such tests would indicate that the OP was 'out of his depth', but that's what TTC seemed to be thinking/implying - so, IMO, he should simply have said so. Whether I would have said the same is a different matter.

I wouldn't even be 'irritated' if someone had asked the OP if he had undertaken any other tests, but to just ask for results of tests which almost certainly had not been done (just to make the point that they should have been done) is, IMO, an unnecessary beating about bushes!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back