Supply to shower problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for terminology/language, this is primarily a forum to which DIYers come to ask questions. What proportion of such people would you expect to understand "R1+R2" or "Zs"? (would suggest incredibly few)
Regrettable most DIYers, really don't understand that the in majority of electrical installation, repair and replacements, they are generally out of their depth and do not have the skill or knowledge to complete these tasks successfully or safely.
I agree DIYers do come here to ask questions, but they must realise that they to will require to give satisfactory answers, if they are unwilling to do that, and this makes this a quieter but safer place to be, so be it!

Sponsored Links
Regrettable most DIYers, really don't understand that the in majority of electrical installation, repair and replacements, they are generally out of their depth and do not have the skill or knowledge to complete these tasks successfully or safely.
Yes - but, as I said, if it is your view that any DIYer who does not understand the meaning of (yet alone be able to measure and interpret) things like R1+R2 and Zs does not have adequate skill and knowledge to undertake any electrical DIY work, then forums like this might as well be closed down and replaced with a campaign to get DIY electrical work banned. Whilst I accept that that is a view which some hold, I don't think it is the view of the majority, particularly of those who choose to participate in a forum like this and try to give at least some assistance and advice (other than 'do not do it' or 'get an electrician') to DIYers.

Kind Regards, John

If they cannot confirm the existence to a path to earth, then they should not meddle. I am not against DIY, I do it at home, but what I do do is firstly gain some understanding of the tasks that I am going to perform and if those tasks involve me creating a potential hazard, that I am out of my depth to remedy, I leave alone.
Personally I don't think electrics should be performed by people that have little knowledge, past that of the plug and play method.

If they cannot confirm the existence to a path to earth, then they should not meddle. ...
Fair enough. However, as BAS often says, it's not usually a case of 'cannot' as 'will not' (most people could probably acquire the understanding and means of doing any of these things if they put their minds to it) - if you live in the same world as me, you presumably acknowledge the fact that the great majority of 'occasional electrical DIYers' (such as most of those we see in this forum) will not do any testing (other than 'functional testing'!). I agree that's far from ideal, but, as I've said, if one feels that it is not acceptable for DIY electrical work to be done on that basis, then one should, IMO, really refrain from giving any advice in a forum like this, and should campaign for the outlawing of DIY electrical work.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I keep saying, though, DIY, although it stands for a universal phrase, does not apply to everything.

There are DIY jobs and there are jobs which should not be DIY even though anyone can do anything themselves, albeit badly.

If it is decided to 'help' someone regardless of their competence and regard for safety that is your decision.

I have a headache which I think is fluid on my brain and a drill; what should I do?

There are DIY jobs and there are jobs which should not be DIY even though anyone can do anything themselves, albeit badly. ... If it is decided to 'help' someone regardless of their competence and regard for safety that is your decision.
That is accepted, and is the usual 'general discussion' we have. However, the suggestion/implication in this thread seems to have been that someone who cannot understand, measure and interpret, say, R1+R2 and Zs, they do not have 'the skill and knowledge' to undertake any electrical DIY work. Whilst I can obviously understand why some people say that, and respect their right to have that view, as I have said it is effectively saying that virtually no 'occasional electrical DIY' should ever be done. Is that your view?
I have a headache which I think is fluid on my brain and a drill; what should I do?
That's an extreme case, and analogous to some of the more general discussion that we usually have. There are some comparably extreme electrical examples in which I imagine we would all agree that there is nothing we can/should say other than "don't do it"/"get an electrician". In either the medical or electrical case, the real difficulty arises if it is clear that the questioner is hell-bent on doing something crazy if they don't get answers they regard as 'helpful'. In that situation, saying "don't do it" or "get an electrician/doctor" may do something for the conscience of the responder, but doesn't help the questioner. It's a real dilemma.

Kind Regards, John

DIY is DIY, just because you do it in your on home does not mean you should treat it with less regards to safety than if you did it at someone else property. There are certain tasks such as fitting skirting boards, painting walls, plastering, tiling and hanging selves, which under normal circumstances ain't going to kill you or cause extensive damage to property if done incorrectly or unprofessionally. There are certain tasks such as electric, building and plumbing that could kill and damage property.

DIY is DIY, just because you do it in your on home does not mean you should treat it with less regards to safety than if you did it at someone else property. There are certain tasks such as fitting skirting boards, painting walls, plastering, tiling and hanging selves, which under normal circumstances ain't going to kill you or cause extensive damage to property if done incorrectly or unprofessionally. There are certain tasks such as electric, building and plumbing that could kill and damage property.
All true. That sounds like a call for electric (and maybe other) 'DIY' to be 'banned' - is that what you think should happen?

Of course, that would presumably have to extend beyond 'DIY' in the usual sense. Although I talk loosely of a 'DIY ban', what I'm really talking about is a situation in which all electrical work would be unlawful if it were not undertaken by 'registered electricians' with a certain (hopefully fairly high) required level of qualifications. Currently, there is no requirement for an electrician who does not want to self-certify to have any sort of registration or to have (any or 'good') qualifications - so a good few 'electricians' would presumably have to be 'banned' as well as DIYers in the usual sense!

AFAIAA, Australia is the only major country that has yet done it - I wonder if there are any others, and whether it has changed very much in Australia?

Kind Regards, John

AFAIAA, Australia is the only major country that has yet done it - I wonder if there are any others, and whether it has changed very much in Australia?

I have read that, in most part, it has promoted the extensive use of extension leads and trailing wires. This has added not reduced the hazard!

My mate (spark) has just gone back to Aus (was from there originally), qualified here and had to jump through loads of hoops and spend about £2000 to prove to them he was competent - even with his UK qualifications. But yes, as far as I'm aware, you can do VERY little in Aus, I think you can just about change a plug yourself. You can't even change a socket outlet or light fitting/switch yourself in most (if not all states). $40,000 AUD fine or something ridiculous as well if you do and get found out.

But yes, as far as I'm aware, you can do VERY little in Aus, I think you can just about change a plug yourself.
IIRC, I don't think that an 'ordinary' member of the public can even do that, at least in some States - but I think that they can go on a (one-day) course in 'how to fit/change plugs', and get some sort of certificate to then allow them to do that one electrical thing!

As I said, I would be very interested to know what (if anything) have been the consequences (in terms of injuries, deaths, fires etc.) of this seemingly unique approach that they've taken there!

Kind Regards, John

As TTC says, the positive effects are probably cancelled out by numerous extension leads and broken accessories

As TTC says, the positive effects are probably cancelled out by numerous extension leads and broken accessories
... and that, of course, assumes that there are some measurable 'positive effects' to be cancelled out!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back