EARTHING A LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just bought a new outside light to replace the existing one. However, when I've come to fit it, I've noticed that there is no earth wire attached to the existing light. The light is operated by a single gang switch and there is no earth attached to that either.

Can I spur off an earth from another nearby light fitting and attach this to both the light and the switch.

Any advice welcomed.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do the manufacturers instructions say there should be an earth or is it double insulated?

Sponsored Links
Do the manufacturers instructions say there should be an earth or is it double insulated?

The instructions are only illustrated by pictures. When showing the connection of the light to the mains, it shows that all 3 wires (live, neutral & earth) must be connected?

odds are your lighting circuit is NOT earthed anywhere, should you decide to fit this light and you catch a wire. or a fault develops, the casing could become live and stay that way :eek:

There's definitely no earth near the cable end of the light fitting end or at the light switch?
So until you get your lighting circuit(s) rewired (which you really should do), the following restrictions are vital:
  • No lights which require an earth.
  • No metal switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back