Earthing a metal shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to power a metal shed, do I need a seperate earth from the CU if so 10sq? - thanks

Sponsored Links
LMAO... sorry I think you have miss understood this forum title....

LOL LOL LOL...... Its for Electrics out side the UK... ie europe, usa etc etc

Not bloomin Electrics in the Garden..... LMAO

LOL LOL LOL

Also i cant belive Ten of you guys read this post before me and didnt comment..... lol.... just cant stop lol...lol...lol..

Geography lesson for MasterAbacus: Ireland (The bigger half of it anyway) is actually outside the UK.

Sponsored Links
Don't see the issue - is this question too hard !

I don't think the outside of UK forum is watched as much as the UK forum by the folks who will know the answer :( . I am not confident of the correct answer so I do not want to mislead but I think it may depend on the earthing arrangement of where the supply is coming from.

Hopefully someone will be along with a better answer for you soon.

It maybe a hard question as common sense, basic electrical theory and the regulations may give three separate and different answers each of which is valid.

Me personally would consider the risk of a shock if the metal shed became live due to a short between cable and metal work.

So I would earth the outside metal to ground so they are the same voltage so standing on the ground and touching the shed will not result in a shock.

I would install an RCD on the supply to the shed so that if there was a short between cable and metal the resulting earth leakage would trip the RCD and shut off the power to the shed.

I would also connect the metal on the inside of the shed to the electrical earth where ever that came from ( equippotential bonding of all internal exposed metal work.

That would in may opinion make it acceptably safe. But the regulations may not permit the connection of the electrical earth to the real earth via the metal of the shed.

Can you give us anything more to go on? Distance from incomming supply, Power requirments, existing supply setup etc.

The size of the earth would depend on the size of the supply to the shed, and even then other factors might need to taken into consideration.

Thanke for the interest - the project is
A metal shed occasional use with 3 lights, 1 socket, 1 central heating boiler
current plan
- extend existing house boiler circuit (2.5 t&e) to shed (on CU with MCB)
- extend spur from house ring circuit (2.5 t&e)(from CU with fuse / RCD / MCB) to shed
- extend house lighting circuit (2 * 1.5) (on CU with MCB)
- connect new/ seperate 10sq earth from earth block in CU to shed

Does this sound OK

Sponsored Links
Back