Earthing a secondary CCU

The CPC is big enough assuming thet the new submains in not supplying main protective bonding.

It is a poor choice for a submain though, and will normally require RCD protection if it is flush mounted.

Sponsored Links
So, just to confirm, my 4mm earth conductor in the T+E is suffient ?

Is it just for earthing the electrical circuits or is it to be used for main protective bonding to water pipes etc too?

Beaten by RF by milliseconds :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'd assume the cable to be 70deg cable unless stated otherwise, the cable and the terminations must be rated for 90deg for the cable to be used at 90deg.

I'd assume the cable to be 70deg cable unless stated otherwise, the cable and the terminations must be rated for 90deg for the cable to be used at 90deg.

That's what I was thinking, hence the confusion with a k value of 100.

No confusion intended. It's a worst case calculation, based on not knowing or seeing the installation. He might not even have a 100A cut-out.

The calculation was merely to demonstrate it's use and application, and how Table 54.7 can be ignored in most domestic installations.

what time do we use in the adiabatic anyway? it's been a long time since I used it..
5s? 0.4s?

t is the time taken to disconnect the fault current for the particular device in use (from the time/current characteristics in Appendix 3).

You may need to refer to manufacturers data for time less than 0.1s.

nevermind that, since when did 239/100 = 0.75?

It doesn't :oops:

OK so we have 2.4mm². I'll therefore retract my last statement about 54.7 being completely useless.

It raises an interesting point though, and that is if you strike a nail through a cable at or near the consumer unit, assuming we were protected by MCBs then the cable would be very toasty :eek: . You may not see a fault level high enough not to trip the MCB before enough energy is let through, but it could happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back