earthing amplifier??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the correct procedure for earthing an 8 way amplifier?
According to the information i ve managed to gather i need to run a 4mm earth cable all the way to the mains board and link all inputs and outputs on the amp, this seems a little excessive to me, is there nowhere to connect the earth in the loft?I m just trying to avoid running any cables externally.

As i understand it connecting to pipework and existing sockets breaks 16th edition regs i can understand pipework being a problem(incase ever changed to plastic) but why is connecting it to the earth in a socket problem?

I have bought your freeview bible and piping TV e books which are well recommended but i can't see anything relating to this.

Cheers
Kenny

Sponsored Links
...According to the information i ve managed to gather i need to run a 4mm earth cable all the way to the mains board ...
this is not correct, I wonder where you gathered this from?

I am going to guess that you mean a TV aerial amplifier. Is it plugged in or wired to a lighting circuit?

Are you installing it in a bathroom, sauna, swimming pool or shower?

I'd just plug the thing in and get on with it, unless you are hard wiring and there is an earth cable in the flex supplying it - I'd suggest that bonding the aerial feeds won't be a very good idea, not least because then your reception probably won't be very good, and also because you'll effectively be running a lightning conductor back to the MET from the aerial (which will be the highest point on your house unless it's in the loft)

got info from antiference web site and several sat web sites i get the impression its so if there is a fault at any point all output s dont become live?????
Everyone seems to agree all inputs and outputs are earthed i myself think this is ott the amp will be plugged into a socket in the loft not even hard wired (would that make a difference?) i would presume the earth thats in the amp would be ample
thanks for any replys

Sponsored Links
As a rule of thumb.the earthing wire can be one size smaller than the power supply wire. So if you are supplying it on a fused spur from a Socket circuit, 1.5mm earth wire will do. If you are supplying it from a lighting circuit, 1mm earth will do.

4mm G&Y is used in bathrooms, to supplementary bond metallic services entering the bathroom from outside. the reason for it being 4mm is not the current, but the fact that if not mechanically protected, you might knock it or trip over it, 4mm is strong enough not to snap easily.

Supplementary bonding is not taken back to the main Earth terminal, it is taken from the nearby circuit (lighting, socket, immersion heater etc) where voltage might come from in the event of a fault.

Normally on a household installation you wouldn't go to all the effort of cross bonding the inputs and outputs onto a 4mmsq back to the MET, but if you really wanted to then there's no harm in doing so. It's more of a commercial thing in large CATV/MATV installs where the engineer working on the system could be hurt by a leaky TV set or a fault somewhere on one of the outlets in the system, but it's not likely to occur in your own home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back