Earthing CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New CU in an all electric flat, no gas pipes. Plastic water mains. CU has double RCD all circuits RCD protected. Only earth cable is the incoming earth cable. AIUI, no need to have any earth cable from the CU to any pipe as nothing to clamp onto. Correct?

Sponsored Links
New CU in an all electric flat, no gas pipes. Plastic water mains. CU has double RCD all circuits RCD protected. Only earth cable is the incoming earth cable. AIUI, no need to have any earth cable from the CU to any pipe as nothing to clamp onto. Correct?
You're presumably talking abound bonding (not 'earthing') cables. If no metal pipes (or other metal things) enter the premises from outside then, yes, there is obviously nothing that could be bonded.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Thanks. No bonding is required, such as earth cables linking copper water pipes around a cylinder?

Thanks. No bonding is required, such as earth cables linking copper water pipes around a cylinder?
That is never required, other than in the minds of plumbers. There are just a few situations in which 'supplementary bonding' is still required in bathrooms, but those situations are becoming increasingly rare.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
many plumbers like to bond the pipes around the boiler (sometimes a pipe clamp jig is provided which does that). This may include pipes to the main incoming services, and to the cylinder which may have a thermostat and an immersion heater. The manufacturer's instructions may specift it, I don't know.

It's hardly necessary when all the pipes are connected to the same metal boiler, but it was pointed out to me that when the boiler is being installed or removed, the installer is faced with water and gas pipes which, in the event of fault, may have a PD, and he may be touching one while spannering another, so the bonding is a useful safety feature for him.

It's hardly necessary when all the pipes are connected to the same metal boiler, but it was pointed out to me that when the boiler is being installed or removed, the installer is faced with water and gas pipes which, in the event of fault, may have a PD, and he may be touching one while spannering another, so the bonding is a useful safety feature for him.
I suppose it depends upon how 'risk averse' one is, but you are talking about what must surely be an extremely improbable scenario, probably requiring more than one fault - it's difficult to see how any of the pipes could "have a PD", since anything electrical connected to the pipework would usually also involve a CPC being connected to the pipework.

As is often pointed out, the downside of any 'unnecessary' bonding is that it nearly always will result in 'unnecessary earthing' (if the part wasn't earthed, anyway) - and increasing the amount of earthed metal around increases the hazard (for plumbers and others) if they happen to touch that metal whilst also touching something 'live'.

Kind Regards, John

there's no accounting for plumbers.

Last edited:
.... But there's no accounting for plumbers.
I wouldn't personally be too critical of plumbers in this particular respect. Decades ago when I first came across 'cross-bonding' of pipes around boilers etc. and in airing cupboards etc., it seemed 'very reasonable' to me, and I didn't think enough to question it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back