Earthing Kitchen Sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just replaced my stainless steel kitchen sink, under the sink I have reattached two green and yellow cables.

One between the hot and cold copper pipes and the other looks as though goes somewhere behind the wall.

There is also a third loose yellow and green lead that wasn't not connected to anything, one end of it is like a thing flat connector rather than the loose copper strands at the other end. Is this the Earth? where does this need to be connected to?

For info the sink is the main kitchen sink, all pipes are copper and the stop cock is also located under the sink.

I don't know much about this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to supplementary bond (earth) the kitchen sink, but what you have here may not be supplementary bonding, it could be your "main equipotential bonding" which must be connected to the main earthing terminal back at the board.
This is normally connect somewhere near the incoming water supply, just after the stop tap on the rising main (cold water supply)
Have you any photos you can upload?
Depending what earthing arrangement and supply you have, would determine the CSA of the bonding conductor, but rule of thumb now would say that it should be 10mm2 for the bonding conductor, this should also be connected to the incoming gas/oil supply if you have that service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back