earthing kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just replaced my stainless steel kitchen sink, under the sink I have reattached two green and yellow cables.

One between the hot and cold copper pipes and the other looks as though goes somewhere behind the wall.

There is also a third loose yellow and green lead that wasn't not connected to anything, one end of it is like a thing flat connector rather than the loose copper strands at the other end. Is this the Earth? where does this need to be connected to?

For info the sink is the main kitchen sink, all pipes are copper and the stop cock is also located under the sink.

I don't know much about this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.
View media item 51196 View media item 51197 View media item 51198 View media item 51196 View media item 51197 View media item 51198

Sponsored Links
What you have done is correct - the earth cable that disappears into the wall will return to your consumer unit, and the stray earth wire with the terminal was used to connect to the original sink....several methods are used for this.
John :)

Thanks for the post, so its earthed correctly as it is? I dont need to reconnect up the spare cable to the sink?

The spare wire is for earthing the sink.

I would certainly earth mine! Many have a tag for this!

Tony

Sponsored Links
As above, definitely earth the sink unit.....as the taps have rubber or plastic washers under them, there's no guarantee that earthing integrity is maintained.
John :)

Found in the electrics forum - earthing sink is not required now - only in a bathroom , apparently. The pipes do need to be , not the top . Best to post there - it was an old post so it might be in the wiki :idea:

The large earth wire coming through the wall is your main protective bonding conductor.

This should be connected to cold water pipe after the stop tap on the consumers pipework within 600mm of the stoptap and before any branch in the pipework.

This is the only connection required.

An additional link to your hot pipe and or your sink are not necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back