Earthing metal light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling with some of the advice I'm finding on the net. Hopefully someone in the DIYnot community can set me straight!

I've got new metal light fittings (flourescant ceiling batten mounted) in my garage and in the fitting they have an earth in the connecting block, which is also connected by a tongue of metal from the chassis of the light.

I've seen mostly advice saying the fitting should be earthed, but some contradictory advice saying metal light fittings shouldn't be earthed.

As the fitting has the earth connection I'm tempted to connect it - Can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Yes it must be connected.

Some metal fittings are double insulated and do not require it and must not be earthed.

It should be connected. May be a good idea to check that the garage itself and other metal fittings are earthed.

Yep, I've done a Zs test (0.48) which I think gives me a good earth reading.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back