Earthing pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to earth my pipe work in my house.

I have taken some advise from an electrician and he has suggested that I use 10mm earth cable for the pipes (hot and cold, cross bonded) under the sink in the kitchen, hot and cold in the bathroom and the gas mains. All going directly into the fuseboard.

Can anyone be so kind to let me know where I can purchase the 10mm earth cable (online) and what clamps to use (and where to purchase them from?)

Do you have to attach to the cold pipe first then the hot or doesn't it matter what order?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The size of main equipotential bond from the MET (main earth terminal) to consumer side of incoming gas, water etc is determined by the type of supply, different types of supply require different size bonds, some of which can only be determined by the distribution network operator.
Afaik there is no requirement to carry out supplementary bonding in a kitchen i.e. hot to cold etc.
Supplementary bonding is required in a bathroom which requires all extraneous conductive parts such as hot + cold + radiator etc and exposed conductive parts such as lighting ckt + electric shower etc to all be cross bonded using adequately sized conductors. Supplementary bonding does not need to go to the MET. This work should also be notified to LABC to comply with part p of the building regs (England + Wales).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back