Earthing Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a general query, I'm in the process of replacing all the chipboard flooring in a recent house purchase. The old flooring was a real mess, bits out here and there so I'm changing all of it.

Upstairs there is a bathroom and two small en-suite rooms, I have most of the flooring up so can see clearly all cable runs etc. I was concerned that only one 4mm earth wire runs from the consumer unit to the main bathroom where it connects to a strap on the sink cold pipe. There is no link from this to hot pipe and bath pipes. (all copper).

More concerning it appears the en-suite where I can see the pipes there is no earthing at all. All boards are up so clear access.

I'm having a Dual RCD CU fitted soon when my electrician returns from holiday.

Will he run extra earthing to the en-suites ? (I was hoping to have fitted new flooring) but I will wait for him to return if extra earthing is required.

I believe the existing 4mm in the bathroom will be getting replaced with 10mm earthing.

Thanks for any advice. I want the job done right so can wait before replacing the flooring.

Dave

Sponsored Links
The rules over earths have changed from one edition to next on wiring regulations and a new house today would not require earth cables from consumer unit to bathroom.

However when wired to an older edition these wires are still required and without knowing to which edition it is wired to one can't advise as to what is required.

Fitting earth wires will not do any harm so if not sure easiest method is fit one.

Sponsored Links
If you're having a dual RCD consumer unit fitted (all circuits RCD protected) and have 10mm2 main protective bonding conductors terminated to all incoming services (water, gas, oil or any extraneous conductive parts) then there's a good chance that supplementary bonding of services in your bathrooms/en-suites won't be required.
In any case, supplementary bonding won't be carried out with 10mm2 earth.

Obviously your electrician will have the last say on the subject as he'll be completing an Electrical Installation Certificate and notifying said work under Part P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back