Bathroom + Earthing

CMR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refurbishing my bathroom - I've pulled out the old suite and I'm putting a new one in. There old suite and all pipe work was not earthed - I'm guessing somewhere out there there are regulations stating that they need to be as I've noticed most bathrooms seem to have this.. so if I do earth all the pipe work where does the earth need to run to?? :oops:
Thanks in advance![/code]

Sponsored Links
What you do, is to supplementary-bond each metalic pipe that enters the bathroom to the earthwire of each electrical circuit that enters the bathroom. If you do this when they come in, you don't need to bond that same pipe again (e.g. at each tap, or each light fitting), because there is nothing in the bathroom that can add a voltage to them.

You can do the bonding in an adjacent airing cuboard if the pipes go through there into the bathroom.

There is a useful download document you will find if you do a "search" on +Supplementary +bonding.

The question is a very common one.

If you have an old house with iron soil pipe of lead waste pipe, you must bond them too.

You can generally connect to the Lighting circuit at the ceiling switch, and run the G&Y down with the pipes. If you have a shaver socket on a different circuit, or an immersion heater or wall heater, you will have to bond to those circuits as well. The bonding clamps must be accessible for inspection and maintenance so don't bury them in plaster, or tile over them.

Thanks John for the very quick response!
Will search for that document online now.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
ah right ok.. on to it now.
If the pipes are earthed in the airing cupboard can the earth just run to the earth on a mains socket?
And also... if the pipes are earthed downstairs.. since its just one bit loop does it mean that they don't need to be earthed again upstairs in the bathroom?

CMR said:
can the earth just run to the earth on a mains socket?
No, it has to go to every circuit that enters the bathroom. The lights will not be on the same circuit as the sockets. Nor will the immersion heater, if there is one. The socket circuit will probably not enter the bathroom.

CMR said:
And also... if the pipes are earthed downstairs.. since its just one bit loop does it mean that they don't need to be earthed again upstairs in the bathroom?
No. The circuits that enter the bathroom must be bonded to the pipes that enter the bathroom. This is not the same as the main bonding.

Ah right ok... I'm getting there.
So I will earth to the shaver socket which comes of the live of the lighting circuit I think.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back