Earthing the Gas and Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me what the guidelines are for locating the earth strap next to the water main, (distance etc..) and also on the gas.
I was also thinking of routing the earth from the external gas meter up the inside of the wall, but it's insulated with rockwool. could I still route the earth up through the cavity?

many many thanks for any guidance

Sponsored Links
Within 600mm (2 ft) of point of entry into building.

Gas regs however require bonding within 600mm of the meter, so if you've got gas pipework that runs around the house for a bit before it enters the building, you may have to bond twice.

make sure also that the earth cable is at least 10mm and that both services has its own individual earth coming from the dist board or if your only making 1 run make sure that you do not cut the cable at the first bond, cut off about 25mm off of the sheathing and connect that exposed part of the copper to your first bond and then carry on to the next bond. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Hi Coaster, cant really see any problem with routing the cable through the cavity, as it only carries current for a very small amount of time during possible fault conditions.

It is ,however, not an Earth wire or conductor ,its function is not intended as a Protective Earthing conductor it is primarily a Protective Equipotential Bonding Conductor...the two functions are different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back