Earth for gas meter question

Sponsored Links
Extraneous-conductive-parts are mentioned which includes gas installation pipes. If they're not deemed to be extraneous-conductive-parts then how can they be relevant?
I think you will find that the gas installation pipes referred to are the ones within the property, not the supply pipes.
As mentioned read
Chapter 54 namely 544.1.2
544.1.2 The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas, water or other service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service into the premises. Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumer's hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external.
Also read definitions on extraneous parts and the equipotential zone.

....so GaryMo in summary, your understanding is that in my situation that bonding is not required ?

thanks for your input also with my query

god, i had hoped this would be clear :(

Equipotential Bonding as a definition is a good starting point.

Is the copper pipework within this installation, when fed into the equipotential zone via an all insulated plastic pipe either an exposed conductive part or an extraneous conductive part?

I know the answer would be no to both so why would you bond it? How about metal shelving in the attached garage? 20KG weight plates under the unused bench? All just lumps of metal within the equipotential zone which have not introduced a potential from outside. Why would this copper pipework be treated any differently? Is it not just floating?

Sponsored Links
....so GaryMo in summary, your understanding is that in my situation that bonding is not required ?

thanks for your input also with my query

god, i had hoped this would be clear :(

So Sean do you believe GaryMo understanding to be correct.
eric and I have both posted the relevant requirements, as I understand it GaryMo interpretation is incorrect.
And I will stand corrected!

PrenticeBoyofDerry is correct.

And

if your circuits are not protected by RCDs you may require supplementary bonding if you do not fit the main bonding.

As the gas pipe will, likely, be connected to the water pipe by the boiler, main bonding the gas pipe (even though not an extraneous part) will not introduce a hazard.

Although only proper testing can determine the actual situation.

OK then, is his pipework an exposed-conductive-part or an extraneous-conductive-part?

But that can not be assumed, it must be confirmed. that no potential is being introduced within the building
So if it has not been confirmed, belt/braces.

No one is arguing about whether it is extraneous, exposed or not.

The regulations categorically state that it should be main bonded - 544.1.2.

Presumably because it is, more likely than not, connected to the water pipes, central heating and boiler - unlike shelves.

4.5 in green OSG refers to water and space heaters.
Ok thanks. I suppose I'd better get one, if only to answer questions.
May I apologise EFLI as 4.5 of the OSG amd 1 does cover bonding of plastic services. For some reason I had been looking at EG to building regs.

And 4.5 recommends bonding to the metal installation pipes where the incoming supply is plastic, unless it can be confirmed that it is not introducing a potential.

Presumably because it is, more likely than not, connected to the water pipes, central heating and boiler - unlike shelves.

What if the shelves were pushed up against the boiler and a water pipe, would they need bonding then?

I've just managed to redirect the earth bond that goes to the main water pipe so that it now runs directly past the copper inlet from my gas meter also. Had to get the floorboards up in the bedroom to get some slack on the cable but its sorted it.

I can now strip the cable sheathing and bond to the copper gas (whether needed or not) without cutting the cable which i think was another requirement.

Thanks for all the input and debate guys

So the internal non-extraneous gas pipework which gains a low resistance connection to water pipes via the boiler should be treated as extraneous and bonded?
If youre not treating it as extraneous why are you suggesting it should be bonded? Because it gains a low resistance connection to the copper water pipe via the boiler? If so then wheres the problem there? It's not an exposed-conductive-part so requires no earthing from that point of view.
I honestly think you're losing your way here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back