Gas Meter Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I realise gas meter bonding has been covered numerous times however I couldn't find an answer to my particular question so please bear with me.

I've got the standard problem of sparky came to do a landlords safety cert as we're going to be renting out our house only to find the gas meter isn't earth bonded and the electricity meter is on the other side of the house and would require a new wire routing externally round the house in conduit which would be extremely unsightly. The other option is to try and run it internally up through the roof space.

My question is this, the gas meter is in a cupboard in the lounge and pretty much directly above it upstairs is the airing cupboard which houses our combi boiler. Looking at the pipes going in and coming out of the boiler you can see that they've all been earthed including the gas pipe which comes from the meter. My question is could the gas meter be earthed with these rather than running it round to the fuse board?

Now the sparky seemed genuine but I've never used him before and was a bit of a pick and hope I just would value other experts opinion on whether what he's saying is true or maybe just trying to jiggle some extra work out of us

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The requirements for bonding to your gas pipes, does allow for impracticably runs to the incoming supply to be avoided.
You can bond further within the property where reasonably practicable, but the connection must be verified/proved that continuity is present.
This must also be easily accessible so it is maintainable and inspection/testing can take place. Also documentation should note the location of the bond clamp.
It would also be possibly to make the connection between the water service pipe and the gas pipe, but again this must be accessible, verified and documented.
Don't rely on the cross bonding at the boiler and your bonding conductor sizing is likely required to be 10mm CSA.
If the service pipe is insulated (comes in in plastic), it is possibly that bonding can be omitted but I normally make the connection.

Looking at the pipes going in and coming out of the boiler you can see that they've all been earthed including the gas pipe which comes from the meter.
Because they are bonded (together) does not mean they are bonded to the Main Earthing Terminal.
The wire is not sufficient for bonding to the MET.

Where does that wire go after it enters the wall?

Sponsored Links
That bond isn't big enough anyway even if it did go to the MET, so it's a none starter either way.

The fuse drawer of the fused spur box looks damaged - what does it feed?.

thanks for the replies gents

>The fused spur box is the mains feed for the combi boiler above it

>I've no idea where that cable goes once is disappears into the wall, i'm assumign it is earthed somewwhere but where exactly i have no idea and the sparky didn't mention it.

> The incoming gas pipe is copper/metal from what i can see

The sparky has said it would need 10mm cable

So it looks like up through the cupbaords and through the roof space will be our best option if i want to avoid unsightly plastic conduit stuck to the outside of the house

Thanks again

If it is proper black PVC conduit done well, it can look very neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back