Earthing up potatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys/gals.

First time at trying my hand at growing spuds so looking for some tips/advice.
We've planted four to a bag in multigrow compost and since they began to shoot have been banking them up to just below the stems.
I have now heard various stories including leaving the top 2" showing, covering so just the tips are showing and, in one or two cases, completely covering them until the bag is full and then just letting them grow from there onwards.

Which method do you recommend and any particular reason?

Sponsored Links
I think you should keep covering them,the idea being that at each time they show and then cover again they push out side shoots as well from which the spuds grow.I've never tried growing them in a bag but its what I would do.

An "expert" on GQT the other week said she never earths up - she just plants them deep to start with and never has a problem with yields.....

So I suppose it doesn't make much difference.

Maybe.

It doesn't make any discernible difference to the yield in my experience. The only advantage of earthing up is to stop spuds that form near the surface going green. Keep them well fed and watered and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. We planted them about a month ago so another 2 to go before we can see the fruits of our labours.
We have decided to keep topping up to within 2" of the top foilage and see what the results are.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back