Potatos Damaged by High Winds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I planted loads of potatos in potato bags a few months ago and they did great. Within a short time the stalks (shoots?) came up healthily and have been around 2 foot above the soil line for at least a month. Alls gone well until today with near gale force winds.

I supported the stalks best I could but woith such high winds a good portion have bent over severely or broken.

With no flowering having happened, should I let them be and see what happens or is there a chance I will have edible potatos and should start digging?

I unfortunately can't remember the variety (which Im sure would have helped).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
leave them be...

Have had crops in the past that I thought were lost, but have found that sometimes the above ground foilage bears no relationship to the number of tubers below.

IIRC, if you earth them up a bit more, the stems will make new roots. This may help them recover, especially the bent ones

I have the same problem, i'll earth them up as say John, and hope it works.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have some heavier soil to earth them up that may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back