Earthing... yes another thread

In the case of electric shock to a person the person's impedance may be high for first few half cycles and thus not trip the RCD until electro chemical changes in the body reduce the impedance.
This is only applicable if the person comes into contact with a live part. If they come into contact with earthed/bonded metalwork under fault conditions, the RCD will clear the fault before the damage is done
Whilst I agree with most of what you wrote to Bernard, I think some may be confused by this statement - and I'm not totally sure what you meant to say. Do you perhaps mean 'if fault conditions arise, the RCD will (ignoring vanishingly improbable coincidences) clear the fault before anyone comes into contact with earthed/bonded metalwork'?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I would think Electrifying meant if anyone was touching/leaning on metal or pipes when the fault occurred elsewhere.

I would think Electrifying meant if anyone was touching/leaning on metal or pipes when the fault occurred elsewhere.
Yes, that was the 'vanishingly improbable coincidence' to which I referred. If an L-E fault 'occurred elsewhere', an RCD should clear it within a fraction of a second. For someone to be touching the pipe (or whatever) during that fraction of a second would be extrordinarily unlikely. In the absence of that amazing coincidence, an RCD would clear the fault before anyone touched the pipe (or whatever).

Kind Regards, John.
Edit: typo corrected

Sponsored Links
Do you perhaps mean 'if fault conditions arise, the RCD will (ignoring vanishingly improbable coincidences) clear the fault before anyone comes into contact with earthed/bonded metalwork'?
If a fault of Live to "earthed" metal work occurs then the RCD will operate.

But if a fault of Live to metal work that is not "earthed" occurs then the RCD will not operate as there is no path for earth leakage current. The metal work is live to touch.

Only when something or some one provides a path from that metal work to ground will there be any earth leakage current and therefore it is only then that the RCD can operate.

The metal work could be a floor board nail that has penetrate a cable and is in contact with the Live conductor. Not really a hazard until some one stands with bare foot on the nail while touching a radiator or carrying an earthed appliance.

In the OP's situation a live floor board nail under the bath and damp floor boards between that nail and a bath foot could make the bath live if it was not bonded or otherwise connected to ground or the CPC (earth wire).

vanishingly improbable coincidences do happen. A neighbour had one such "hot spot" nail in their bedroom floor for more than 15 years ( all before the days of RCDs ). It was only discovered when a carpet was being replaced and the nail gave the carpet fitter a shock when he put his hand on the nail. I assume he was holding a power tool at the time to provide tne second point of contact to complete the circuit to ground. I have also found a live shelf bracket that went un-noticed for over a year. The damaged cable was RCD protected.

If a fault of Live to "earthed" metal work occurs then the RCD will operate. But if a fault of Live to metal work that is not "earthed" occurs then the RCD will not operate as there is no path for earth leakage current. The metal work is live to touch.
Of course - but, in context, I think you're probably missing the point that, even if some people don't like the language, the regs only allow ommission of supplementary bonding in a bathroom if the extraneous-conductive-parts (pipes etc.) therein are effectively 'earthed'. Specifically, the regs require that the extraneous-conductive-parts' are "effectively connected" (usually via the pipework itself) to the main protective equipotential bonding - which, of course, is connected to the MET.

vanishingly improbable coincidences do happen.
Of course they can, but they are vanishingly improbable! - and that certainly applies to what was being suggested.

Think of some numbers. Let's be generous and say that an L-E fault occurs in an installation, on average, once every year, and that it takes a protective device 0.5 sec to clear that fault. That means that there is roughly a 1 in 63 million chance that there will be a fault voltage knocking around at any given point in time. Lets now presume, again generously, that you spend 15 minutes per day touching the pipework etc. in your bathroom - a chance of around 1 in 96 that you'll be touching the pipework etc.at any point in time. Hence, if everything is random, the chances of your being in contact with the pipe whilst there is an uncleared L-E fault is around 6 billion to 1 - more than 400 times less likely than that a ticket will win the UK lottery.

Kind Regards, John.

The metal work could be a floor board nail that has penetrate a cable and is in contact with the Live conductor. Not really a hazard until some one stands with bare foot on the nail while touching a radiator or carrying an earthed appliance.
That is true but you have admitted that it is a vanishingly improbable coincidence.
I don't think the regulations tend to cater for the 'vic's when less improbable situations occur.

It is less improbable that the earthed appliance become faulty whilst the person is leaning on the bath -
which would be more dangerous if bonded unnecessarily.

If the bath was bonded, unavoidably, by the pipework (as is the radiator in your example) then -
in the live nail scenario, that would be fortunate, however -
in the faulty appliance case it would be unfortunate.

Edit - I should have distinguished, in the live nail scenario, between the live nail touching the bath foot (fortunate) and the live nail being stood on whilst touching the bath (unfortunate, as with the faulty appliance) but this just shows that thinking of a particular happening which seems to throw doubt on the regulations is not a reason for doing the opposite.

Which is the less unlikely? The regulations have to choose.

In the OP's situation a live floor board nail under the bath and damp floor boards between that nail and a bath foot could make the bath live if it was not bonded or otherwise connected to ground or the CPC (earth wire).

These thing are all true but they are not arguments.

It is extremely unlikely that I will win the lottery but it is no argument to say there is no point buying a ticket because I may be struck by lightning the day of the draw.

What about a failed CNE conductor on a TN-C-S supply? Or a failed earth on a TN-S supply or an open circuit CPC on the bathroom lighting circuit.

Is the bath safer with bonding or if it's not bonded and therefore completely isolated from the electrical installation?

What about a failed CNE conductor on a TN-C-S supply? Or a failed earth on a TN-S supply or an open circuit CPC on the bathroom lighting circuit. Is the bath safer with bonding or if it's not bonded and therefore completely isolated from the electrical installation?
I'm sorry to stir things up again by making a distinction, but, if there are no exposed-conductive-parts it depends to some extent on whether you are talking about bonding, per se, or 'earthed bonding' (the latter being what the regs required). True 'simple bonding' which just connected together every bit of touchable metal in a bathroom would obviously protect a person from any shock provided that (if there were 'accidental' connections to earth, which would often be present via pipework) no new element (e.g. a vaccum cleaner, plugged in outside the room) were introduced into the bathroom. Even doing as the regs want, and 'earthing' that bonding ('bonding the CPCs, if you prefer') really shouldn't present any hazard (regardless of the potential of the CPC above true earth) if all metal in the room is bonded together - again, provided no-one introduces something new into the room.

Having said all that, as you know, I am not advocating or advising 'unnecessary bonding' - at least, not as routine.

Kind Regards, John.

I agree that if the lighting circuit has no ECPs such as a sealed drum fitting then it doesn't actually need bonding. If the circuit does contain ECP(s) then it definately needs bonding, and presumably that is why the IET require the connection, and have deemed the connection to a circuit with no ECPs to not be an issue, as a one size fits all type reg.

But it is a requirement of BS7671 where supplementary bonding is required to extend the bonding to include all CPCs, so for the installation to be compliant, this is what must be done.

True supplementary bonding to the bath would not IMO make any difference either way.

I agree that if the lighting circuit has no ECPs such as a sealed drum fitting then it doesn't actually need bonding. If the circuit does contain ECP(s) then it definately needs bonding, and presumably that is why the IET require the connection, and have deemed the connection to a circuit with no ECPs to not be an issue, as a one size fits all type reg.
Indeed - but when you say or imply that (in the absence of exposed-c-ps) supplementary bonding could actually decrease safety, that's only because of the (required by regs) extension of the bonding to the CPCs (which I would call 'earthing'if there are no exposed-c-ps), not because of the actual bonding of metalwork, per se.

But it is a requirement of BS7671 where supplementary bonding is required to extend the bonding to include all CPCs, so for the installation to be compliant, this is what must be done.
Indeed. I suppose some would argue that, in situations in which supplementary is not required by the regs, one could just bond the extraneous-c-ps together without having to extend the bonding to include CPCs - but I really don't see what would be the point.

Kind Regards, John.

Indeed - but when you say or imply that (in the absence of exposed-c-ps) supplementary bonding could actually decrease safety, that's only because of the (required by regs) extension of the bonding to the CPCs (which I would call 'earthing'if there are no exposed-c-ps), not because of the actual bonding of metalwork, per se.

Correct! (imo)

Indeed. I suppose some would argue that, in situations in which supplementary is not required by the regs, one could just bond the extraneous-c-ps together without having to extend the bonding to include CPCs - but I really don't see what would be the point.

Kind Regards, John.

I do see the point. I assume you mean extraneous to the bathroom? There is a possibility that a potential could exist between different services / pipes such a cold pipe from the rising main, hot pipe from the cylinder and CH pipes from the boiler. Supplementary bonding these can only be a good thing IMO.

I agree. There would be no point

I do see the point. I assume you mean extraneous to the bathroom? There is a possibility that a potential could exist between different services / pipes such a cold pipe from the rising main, hot pipe from the cylinder and CH pipes from the boiler. Supplementary bonding these can only be a good thing IMO.
Then it would be required.

Correct! (imo)
Glad you agree!

]I do see the point. I assume you mean extraneous to the bathroom? There is a possibility that a potential could exist between different services / pipes such a cold pipe from the rising main, hot pipe from the cylinder and CH pipes from the boiler. Supplementary bonding these can only be a good thing IMO.
Well, yes. There probably is just about an argument. The row of clamps joined by G/Y in the airing cupboard, and maybe also in the vicinity of the boiler, 'bonding everything together' (but not necessarily to CPCs) is the traditional way of achieving that. The reality, of course, is that the chances of there ever being a significant PD between such pipes is extremely small, particularly given that if 'anything electrical' is involved with any of them there will be a connection to the CPC, and that (given metal plumbing) some/most/all will be in contunuity with main bonding connections.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back