earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
ive just had my old lead incoming water supply replaced with mdpe pipe.
and from the rising main stopcock copper pipe is installed. i understand that this needs to be supplermentary bonded in 10mm earth cable back to the main earth block near the cu and that it has to be within 600mm.the question is my incoming water supply is about 4 metres away from the cu.
should i just run 4 mtrs of cable from stopcock to earth block or is there an alternative

Sponsored Links
leon said:
hi
ive just had my old lead incoming water supply replaced with mdpe pipe.
and from the rising main stopcock copper pipe is installed. i understand that this needs to be supplermentary bonded in 10mm earth cable back to the main earth block near the cu and that it has to be within 600mm.the question is my incoming water supply is about 4 metres away from the cu.
should i just run 4 mtrs of cable from stopcock to earth block or is there an alternative

er... that doesnt make much sense. the earth clamp has to be within 600mm of the stopcock and before the first branch. you make it sound like you think its something else/ take a 10mm earth from the MET to the water. and you should do the gas and any other incoming services at the same time

it was just an interpritation i got from a diy book it didnt really explain the process clearly but im a little more the wiser now thanks!

One more thing. Not being snotty, just want you to understand the correct terminology-

a connection to a mains water/gas pipe is main equipotential bonding not supplementary.

Sponsored Links
As an aside, is it acceptable to run the main bonding cable from the MET to the gas pipe then on to the water pipe, or do they have to be individual runs?

Cheers,

Howard

HDRW said:
As an aside, is it acceptable to run the main bonding cable from the MET to the gas pipe then on to the water pipe, or do they have to be individual runs?

Cheers,

Howard

they can go from MET to gas then water, or vice versa, providing its not cut. i.e cut the sheath off and put that thru the clamp

andrew2022 said:
HDRW said:

Cheers,

Howard

they can go from MET to gas then water, or vice versa, providing its not cut. i.e cut the sheath off and put that thru the clamp
Ah, so no crimped-on rings then! Would you just run it through one side, or untwist and split it either side of the screw?

Cheers,

Howard

Carefully strip about 25-30mm of the sheath with a knife and make a U shape. This should now go around the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back