Ease of repairing a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

My grandson just carried out some repairs to my plumbing because I had a leak which caused water to come through my ceiling.

Unfortunately he damaged the plasterboard on his way down from the loft. It would probably need replacing anyway as the water had damaged it.

I can't afford someone to come and fix it so I was wondering how easy it is and if it could be attempted by someone who had no experience.

It will involve taking down the old plasterboard and putting new ones up.

How would he get around the light fittings and wires.

I used to do DIY in my younger days but I'm a little too old now and my hands shake quite a lot.

Anyway, I hope you all have a nice day.

Reg.

Sponsored Links
1. Ask your grandson to come and fix it. ;)

2. Depending on the size of the area affected, you could cut out the damaged area, leaving a clean, straight edge to be repaired.
Cut a new piece of pb to fit and fix in position.
Plaster or otherwise, fill in the cracks/edges, etc.
If you are as shakey as you suggest, using tools such as straight edges, knife, trowels, screwdrivers, hammers, etc might cause more problems than they cure, not to mention climbing steps.

To lift pb into position you can hire a special lifting cradle for pb.

The light fittings and ceiling rose will need removing whilst the wires are tucked up until the replacement board is fitted, and subsequently replaced.
(Electric isolated and note connections)
If your grandson is not upto plastering, artex may be an acceptable DIY least costly option.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back