Easiest way of creating a 5mm deep channel in a brick pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some bespoke iron gates made in the past attached to a brick/mortar pillar.

To cut a long story short an idiot backed into the post and knocked it down.

I've built a new pillar but it's 5mm offset from the original leaving me with gates that won't close (overlap by 5mm only).

The hinges are welded onto a 1500mm strip of steel (which gets bolted to the pillar in 5 places to spread the weight).

How easy would it be to dig 5mm x 40mm x 1500mm into the pillar?

Angle Grinder? If so, what kind of wheel?

Many thanks,
Rob.

Sponsored Links
hampshire_rob said:
To cut a long story short an idiot backed into the post and knocked it down.

I've built a new pillar but it's 5mm offset from the original leaving me with gates that won't close (overlap by 5mm only).

Many thanks,
Rob.

surely the idiot is the bloke who re-built the pillar 5mm too narrow? :LOL:

Be fair... it might be the same idiot who backed into the old one ;)

Very helpful?

I've got 4 options as far as I can see:

1. Knock the pillar down and re-build (~20 courses);
2. Angle grind 5mm out to recess the bracket housing the hinges;
3. Use an SDS drill & routing bit to take 5mm out;
4. Re-fabricate the bracket housing the hinges.

I'm just looking for some helpful advice on which method is going to be the easiest.

I can do 1-3 myself, but would need to have 4 done by someone else.

Sponsored Links
there are various tools used by electricians to cut a Chase into a wall to run a cable along (they make a tremendous amount of dust when used inside). Expensive to buy but your local hire shop may have something suitable. It might be good because it will cut a good straight groove.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=20295&ts=30816

This little thing fits on a drill but looks a bit weedy to me.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11900&ts=30816

Without a special tool it is possible to make a chase quickly by running an angle grinder down to make 2 slots, then chiselling out the gap. This works best in plaster of lightweight blocks. 5mm is unusually shallow, though.

Sorry, :oops: some of us like a bit of a laugh in the evening :LOL: .

Being an engineer, I would take option 4 & mod the gate. Cutting a recess in the brick pier is always going to make the job look a pig’s ear!

i think scrabbling the bricks seems like a good idea, but it may have later consequences.
you will not only be taking the protective face off the brick, but be weakening it too. this is not a good idea where strength is at a premium for supporting the heavy gates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back