easiest way to get artex off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im re decorating my living room and wanting to take the artex off the ceiling to re-do as a smooth finish... anyone know the best way?

Sponsored Links
I have friends in the building trade who swear by this stuff for getting it off : http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/e/ECOXTEX/

You can always steam it off, but it is a slow and messy job compared to using the product above, there may be other similar products about, I've just heard friends use this name the most.

sounds like really good stuff but bloomin' expensive :eek: a decent size room will need at least 2 x 2.5ltr tubs so thats around £40...gulp, but then when you do a job the hard way you'll pay anything to make it easier so may be worth considering.

Sponsored Links
I ususally use a steamer if romoving Artex but I will always be re-plastering anyway; I mostly just skim over it now unless it’s cracked. You may go to all the trouble of using that rather expensive & potentially time consuming stripper only to find the plaster underneath is shot & needs repair/re-skimming anyway. If it disolves paint, I’d also be concerned about what preparation is necessary before overpainting as well!

It may be better option to consider paying out a bit more & get it over plastered if there are no cracks in the Artex; a mornings work for an average size room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back