Easifill sanding issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used Easifill 45 a lot over the years but having a problem with sanding it flat on a particular wall.

Had a fairly large patch (6" x maybe 1') of blown paint on a wall, so got the 10" taping knife and Easifill out to patch it flat. I'm not too fussy about feathering because usually this stuff sands flat in seconds, but I didn't leave it hugely proud of the surface either.

However, this time I've had a big problem sanding it flat with the existing and I'm not sure why. The wall was otherwise sound, free from dust and grease. When I sand the edge, the filler just strips once it gets down to a certain level. I can get it very close to flat, with an edge just about detectable by touch or with a work-light angled onto it. But then when I try to sand that last little bit it just strips off the wall so I'm back to a noticeable step. I'm using p120 alu oxide paper.

Any ideas? Seems like poor adhesion between the filler and existing painted wall (matt emulsion, also sanded a little and cleaned prior to filling), but I'm not sure why?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried 180 or 220g paper?

It does sound like poor adhesion. Was it still in date, mixed properly, was there too much suction in the substrate?

I guess you could seal it and then feather it wit another filler.

Filler was new-ish and well mixed yes.

I think suction could be an issue.

In the end I sealed the whole lot over with gardz and re-filled the 'step' with some of that ronseal pre-mix rubbish I had lying around. It ended up good enough for now, although I wonder how long it will last!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back